Finally got a return phone call

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
After a little over a month I finally got a phone call back from my neuro letting me know the results.

He said everything looked good so he is going to lower the dosage of one of my meds - :woot: - because he'd like to try and get me off of some of them.

My family was surprised that it was my actual neuro who called not a nurse. I told them that it usually is him that always calls me back to let me know the information. It just usually takes forever though. Does anyone else have their actual neuro return their phone calls or is it usually a nurse or someone of that sorts?

With mine it depends on the topic--if it's something simple that can easily be relayed by the nurse, the nurse calls. But if the doctor wants to ask questions and have a more in-depth discussion or really explain something, she calls. For the first time in decades I have a super awesome neuro. Glad yours calls you!

Valerie -
That's great news about being able to reduce meds.
Is your neurologists nurse the same person you had a disagreement with or was that his receptionist.

When I used to see my local neurologist if I ever rang him & he was with patients, the receptionists would pass the message on to him & he'd call me back in between patients. The only time his receptionist rang me was to remind me of an appt.

Since I've had my surgery I've been going to the epilepsy clinic in the city to see the neurologist. I usually only talk to the neurologist when I see him at the clinic for my follow up appts. Any other correspondence I have with him is through my epilepsy nurse or neuropsych which is usually email as it's easier then phone (sometimes they are flat out so it can be hard to get hold of them & I don't always hear my mobile ring). Most of the time my correspondence is usually just minor stuff but if I have any issues they will pass it onto the neurologist & get straight back to me with his answer.
If I do need my neuropsych or epilepsy nurse to ring me I will email them or leave them a message to get them to ring me & they will ring me as soon as they receive the message.

Last edited:
No it was his nurse practitioner who I got into the argument with, not his receptionist.

His receptionist is pretty good - when I actually talk to her on the phone and not just leave a message. It seems that when I actually talk to her about something that I need to ask my neuro about then I get a call back pretty quickly. When I have to leave her a message on her voice mail it takes forever for to call me back from someone.

I do understand that I'm not his only patient so I don't expect to get a call back the same day or even maybe a week. But when I call for over a month, all leaving messages on her voice mail, I would expect a call way before then. I called about 6 times, the last 4 messages left 4 days in a row, I finally got the call from the neuro.

I believe one of the times I got a call back about something was from an intern. I can't remember what the call was about so I don't remember if it was something serious or just a general question or something that I wanted to let him know about. The man I spoke with had a very bad accent and I could hardly understand what he was saying so I don't think what I needed to talk to the neruo about what anything serious. If I would have need to I know I would have asked to speak to someone else to make sure I understood what he was telling me to do. My neuro does have an accent too but not as bad as the man that I spoke with that time.

Last edited:
I think it is great that your doctor calls to communicate important news. It warms me!

Back
Top Bottom