First appt with new dr tomorrow, a little nervous.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Junebug

New
Reaction score
I'm switching dr.s , (finallly,) from a neurologist to an epileptoligist and am a little nervous. I've never liked my neurologist, he's very "old school" and I was always in and out of my appt in less than 10 min. :roll: I always hated changing dr's (I've had about eight) cuz they've all been the same except for 2 and those 2 either left or I moved out of town 3 hrs away.
I have seizures around my monthly cycles and was googling one day (I love google!) and decided to google hormone induced seizures epilepsy and found info about catemenial epilepsy so I am hoping that I will be diagnosed with that(I started having seizures when I went through puberty,) instead of just "epilepsy". This old school dr has prob never even heard of that. :roll:
I am on Lamictal and Topomax and when the generic Lamictal came out I was excited cuz I only had to pay $7 instead of $150. :woot: 4 mo later I'm having only grand mals about 10 times a mo whereas I was having grand mals 1 x a mo and small petit mals (I would let out a moan) about 3-5 x's a mo.
Generics are so NOT worth the $ saved. Hopefully I can switch meds, (no matter what the cost because the meds I'm on now don't seem to be working, generic or brand name.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Be sure you write down EVERYTHING you want to ask...I know I have already started my list of things to discuss with the doc at my next appointment in Jan. He is funny and knows I have a list and ask for it when I come in!
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Good Luck with the appointment. I hope everything turns out great for you.

:tup:

Good luck tomorrow!

And as posted - make sure you have
everything you need written down,
and if medical records are to be bought
in, bring those with you - unless they
are going to request you to sign a release.

Keep us posted how it all goes!

Junebug - welcome
You might contact my daughters neurologist. She specializes in Catamenial Seizures at USC Neurology. She has been wonderful in helping us.
She might know of a fellow doctor that she could recommend in your area.

Diet has been a huge factor in healing for Rebecca as has neurofeedback.
Did yours begin as a teen?

Junebug - welcome
You might contact my daughters neurologist. She specializes in Catamenial Seizures at USC Neurology. She has been wonderful in helping us.
She might know of a fellow doctor that she could recommend in your area.

Diet has been a huge factor in healing for Rebecca as has neurofeedback.
Did yours begin as a teen?

Mine began at 11, right when I began "developing" and it got worse when I started to get my monthly cycles. We, (my parents and I, or my neuro's) never really thought to keep a record of my cycles and when I had my seizures and then I realized on my own in high school that, that is when I would have them.

What is your daughters neuro's name? I'm sure that my new dr prob knows of her, he did his fellowship at Stanford University Hospital so I'm sure, both being hospitals at University's they converse with each other at times.
This is my new dr.s website.

idahoepilepsy.com/epilepsy-doctor.htm

What kind of diet does your daughter follow?

Welcome Junebug! I hope you have a great visit with your new doc. I try to either take a list of questions, or my hubby with me. :) He has a better memory than I do.

Back
Top Bottom