First eeg in the morning, any advice?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have my first eeg scheduled for in the morning. I will be staying up all night as they requested i get no more than 4 hours of sleep. Any other advice for a successful eeg?

My son has had two. The worst part he said was when they have you breath fast for three min. and you feel very dizzy. Other than that it is very relaxing, nothing hurts you. Oh, bring a hat. Afterwards you will have lots of goop in your hair. Like an extreme overabundance of hair styling gel that they use to suction on the electrodes.

Ive had several EEGs in my lifetime. I was dx'd with epilepsy at the age of 18 months old, now being 31 years old, ive had alot of them. Staying up and only getting very little sleep is just what they want you to do. Lack of sleep brings on seizures for alot of people. Once you go for the EEG, they will put the electrodes on your head, and start the testing. They have you breath in and out, deep, and then have you breath fast for a few minutes. Once they are done having you do the breathing exersizes, they will let you close your eyes and rest for the remainder of the test. the EEG usually goes for 45 minutes to an hour long. The sucky part is having to get all that darn glue out of your hair. I recall them always letting me keep a small comb when I was alittle girl. Some of the techs would let me go into their bathroom they had around the corner and help me clean out my hair. Other than that, its pretty easy.

It doesn't take too long (sometimes it takes longer to attach the sensors than it does to do the actual testing). Ideally you will be so exhausted that your brain will be vulnerable enough to show abnormal brainwaves. (Depending on what kind of seizures you are having, you don't necessarily need to be seizing during the EEG for the abnormal brainwaves to show up.) Make sure you have someone to drive you to and from the appointment. And let us know how it goes!

i couldnt stand it...... though thing was i didnt know what i would be getting done or whatever i just got scared when they put a camra on me and said i may have a sezure! i didnt let them do the flashy light test hehehe..... but hopefully u been told whats involved and u know what ur going for hehehe most ppl r fine with tests im just big scaredy cat lol

I read that as EGG. Not EEG.

Yes to all the crap in your hair.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to get a hold of all my test results. I remember "falling asleep" during my EEG, I wonder if I had a seizure. I don't remember them telling me anything either.

I never thought to get a report sent to me. Wow, thats a no brainer. The tech that did ours wouldnt tell us anything, we had to wait on the docs report. Just call in a few days and I am sure they will have it. Glad you could take a nap ;)

Back
Top Bottom