Flying

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sandie

New
Reaction score
Can anyone give me any advice on flying. Really stupid question but is there any precautions I should take for a 3-4hr flight. I don't get tonic clonics but my seizures at the moment are the equivalent of olfactory hallucination, slurred speech,hangovers and absences,. I am a little concerned about cabin pressure because I already have that 'pressurized' feeling in my head. I can't avoid the flight so do you think it will be ok.

I have CP's and have taken numerous flights. I just took a trip in March and all was well. Talk with your neuro and ask for a letter. Make sure you take medication on board.

For more info: http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/travel_types

By Airplane

While most people with seizures can travel safely by airplanes, guidelines of the Aerospace Medical Association do recommend that people with uncontrolled seizures not travel by commercial airliner. An airline may ask for a letter from your doctor that you are okay to fly. While people are not routinely prevented from flying, concerns may arise due to the lack of medical help available during a flight and safety of other passengers if a person is confused or experiencing behavior changes during or after a seizure in a confined space. The Aerospace Medical Association recommends that people who are still having seizures travel with a companion.

When considering air travel, talk to your doctor first and consider the impact of changing time zones, sleep deprivation, and long delays or travel times on your seizures and whether air travel is recommended.
~Travel with a companion – this is especially important for people with frequent seizures or seizures with a change in your awareness or behavior, or for those who are traveling long distances.
~Bring a letter from your doctor describing your ability to travel by airplane and carry a completed Seizure Plan outlining what to do should a seizure occur.
~Talk to the airline in advance – ask for special seating arrangements so you are closer to the front where you can get help if needed. If possible, ask for an empty seat next to you so you can lie down if a seizure occurs.
~Carry a supply of medicines with you (in properly labeled bottles) so it is available if you need it during the flight.

Back
Top Bottom