Food related causes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jcook1976

New
Reaction score
Since I have started having nocturnal seizures a few years back, and the doctors never found a specific cause, and I am not on any meds at the moment, I am always looking at possible causes.
For instance, last night I had fish sticks, and corn for dinner and some sparkling lemonade that claims to be all natural.
I also had a chicken pot pie for lunch. Anyone else here ever wonder if it could be food related and start looking at the ingredients, etc. in what they have ate/drank that day. I've had chicken pot pies a few times over the last several days, but have not had fish or fish sticks since sometime in the last couple of months. Im wondering if it could be mercury in the fish or something in the breading, etc.
Any thoughts? I know this is a vague questions. Thanks

I am allergic to fish and pork. I tested allergic to both years ago on a skin prick test but didnt SEEM to have an obvious problem so I kept eating them. Skip ahead 20 years, during a new period of seizure instability, I started to see a pattern: Eat fish or pork, have seizures (plus I developed sleep apnea, which turned out to be swollen tongue and sinuses from constantly eating both). I've learned I have other food sensitivities that probably aren't actually allergies but that can provoke seizures as well. I carefully watch what I eat and keep a food diary, and you may want to consider doing so as well! I still have seizures for whatever other reasons we all have seizures, but the sleep apnea part is rare now from eliminating allergens, except for the occasional accidental exposure.

It would be unlikely for mercury in the fish sticks to trigger your seizures -- the fish in them doesn't tend to be high in mercury, and you'd have to eat an awful lot of fish sticks. But some brands of fish stick contain msg, so perhaps you're sensitive to that. Keeping a food diary is a good way to help rule things in or out and look for patterns.

Lol omg seriously EAT REAL FOOD!!! Throw that processed junk away and NEVER BUY IT AGAIN!!! It's literally just a bunch of toxic chemicals and preservatives...think about it like this...your body isn't going to recognize it as real food because it's already been processed! So basically your just eating pre digested food and your body won't process or do anything with it and all that garbage that your body isn't doing anything with is just sitting in your gut and floating around in your blood stream making you sick...common sense says that processed and fast food is extremely unhealthy...but to get a better understanding of how humans should actually be eating (and for God's sake living) I've included some links below... (yes it's backed by scientific research)

http://wellnessmama.com/575/how-grains-are-killing-you-slowly/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

Oh and only babies are suppose to be drinking milk (from another human)...anyone else will suffer health issues ranging anywhere from constant headaches to constant bowel discomfort to skin problems to allergies and inflammation to God forbid seizures and possibly even death etc....as with any smart doctor they will tell you to cut out all dairy and grains so you'll be on your way to a healthier and happier you :)

Humans eat meat because humans have canines...if you don't know what those are (it's pretty obvious really lol) then look it up! But anyway yes it's a pretty simple analogy...we are made of meat thus we must eat meat to survive!!!...afterall we are what we eat lol but seriously only meat (and especially red meat) contain certain essential nutrients that our bodies require for purposes of vitality...

What you put into your body you also put into your mind and whatever is in your mind will either brighten or darken your spirit...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom