Fycompa/Perampanel 6-week update

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am staying at 6 mg for 6 weeks before going up to 8 mg because of the effect it is having on my legs (at first all day and now diminished to a few hours after I first get up :) ).

My husband was on a medicine that affected his legs. Then one day he fell down at the parking lot at WalMart. It turned out he was allergic to the medicine. He had to get off of it. It was a high blood pressure medicine. He doesn't have epilepsy or ataxia.

They do not know all of the side effects. Don't go past the 6 mg until you talk to your doctor. Call him right away.

Hi Jen,
How did your research end up regarding the perampanel and weight gain? Did you find a way to mitigate the situation?
I've just started perampanel myself - last chance medication after what seems like 40 different medications and combinations. I'm worried about weight gain too. Like you, I'm careful with diet and am physically active. I'm trialling the modfied-atkins-diet for epileptics too. Since bumping upto 4mg my appetite is insistent. 2mg was no different to the usual.
Anyones feedback would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers
Alyce

Hi, Alyce;
I have been at 8 mg for a few months now, and appetite increase settled down to something that is manageable as long as I am able to keep busy. I suspect that keeping busy keeps my mind occupied with things aside from food. I also do my best to make sure there is lots of healthy but low calorie food around for those times when I do feel hungry (but probably don't really need to eat). I do like treats like anyone, though, and I handle this by having an occasional treat out somewhere rather than having this junk food sitting on my shelves or in my fridge.

I have also since added in Aptiom - is this one you have tried?

I hope you keep me posted on how Fycompa works for you, and look forward to reading what works for you to avoid the hunger pangs!

Hi Jen,
Thanks so much for your quick response. That's wonderful perampanel is working out for you, I hope you keep having success with it.
I had the same side effects as you on 2 mg!!!! Walking into things and zombified, then next dose up was ravenous!!! I think it's lessening up a bit a week in. It's so frustrating, starving straight after a feed. When I left the hospital Dr's said 1st week terrible, 3 wks should settle down.... Bit of memory loss too. Do you find find that? Feel free to PM me anytime.

Back
Top Bottom