Garcinia Cambogia

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

katijoy

New
Reaction score
After two years with no seizures, I had another grand mal. I suspect it may have been caused by using the popular diet aid Garcinia Cambogia for three days before. Has anyone else used this stuff?

Hey katijoy, welcome to CWE!

I'm sorry to hear that you had a breakthrough seizure. I think that you may be right that the Garcinia Cambogia is the culprit. While limited testing has turned up relatively mild side effects -- headache, dizziness, dry mouth, nausea and diarrhea -- there have also been reports of liver problems, seizures, and cardiovascular problems linked to diet supplements that contain hydroxycitric acid (the main ingredient in Garcinia Cambogia). See: http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/weight-loss-products-containing-hydroxy-citric-acid-safe

Supplements of all kinds can be risky because they are unregulated and poorly tested. Sometimes they don't even contain any of the labeled ingredient and/or may contain unlisted ingredients that can be problematic. See http://www.livescience.com/28736-dietary-supplements-recall.html and http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/?_r=0 Garcinia Cambogia in particular has been marketed through a scam: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/african-mango-diet-pills-womens-health

So... you may have reacted to something in the Garcinia Cambogia. Or, you may have reacted to something labeled Garcinia Cambogia. Either way, it sounds like you should play it safe and avoid using it in the future.

That's why I stay away from any of that stuff. I would like to try some diet pills but am scared of my reaction. Since I live alone, that could be pretty disastrous!
Like Nak said, I would tread lightly!
Good Luck!
M

Yeah, any time a pill is alleging to "boost your metabolism", I give it a wide berth. Even if it is supposed to be "all natural". Coffee is a natural substance but not good for epileptic brains either.

Is Garcinia Cambogia a stimulant? I stay away from stimulates except caffeine and Sudafed if I am having a sinus problem.

I'm not sure if it is on its own but I know that many "diet pill" formulas that contain it also contain some form of upper.

I read that it is made from coffee beans so that could have had something to do with it?

Things with a lot of caffeine in them can cause some people to have seizures. I'm ok if I only have a little caffeine but when it's something strong or I drink/eat a lot I'm almost guaranteed to have a seizure.

I know that garcinia cambogia is not coffee but some of the versions of the Garcinia Cambogia diet aid are made with green coffee extract. I don't know if that's one of the versions that you could have used and if it may have played any part in it?

That's because two of Dr. Oz's supplements du jour are green coffee extract and this garcinia cambogia stuff (which Nak is right comes from the tamarind fruit). Several manufacturers have tried to cash in in the hype by putting both in one pill.
"As Seen On Dr. Oz!"

Many of the supplements marketed for weight loss or cognitive benefits are packaged with some sort of stimulant like caffeine or ephedrine. Some may contain Gingko biloba and ginseng as well, which can also have a stimulant effect. Diet supplements often have diuretics as well -- which can interact with other meds or be problematic with certain health conditions. So be a cautious consumer.

Yeah, Nak, that's what I meant by any time a pill claims to be a metabolism "booster", I put it back on the shelf and back away slowly. Diuretics can seriously mess with your electrolyte balance.

Good God, with a name like "Garcinia Cambogia" I wouldn't come close to it. :)

Best way to loose weight is to control ones food intake. It worked for me, but it's not an over night thing, it take a serious commitment.

:piano: :pop:

Good God, with a name like "Garcinia Cambogia" I wouldn't come close to it. :)

Best way to loose weight is to control ones food intake. It worked for me, but it's not an over night thing, it take a serious commitment.

:piano: :pop:

To control ones food intake and to exercise. Exercise is a very important part of weight control.

Of course I have has so many seizures this week that I haven't been to the gym since last Saturday. I sleep through lunch and hit the couch or bed as soon as I am home from work.

Hi Katijoy. I had one dose of that and half an hour later had a seizure! Felt really stupid for trying it (after paying $50) but was so frustrated by weight gain from the medication. It's very difficult to exercise too with fatigue from the meds as well. So frustrating.

It's very difficult to exercise too with fatigue from the meds as well. So frustrating.

Have you ever spoken with a dietitian about controlling weight? I know there is a lot of information on the internet - information overload, really - but it is very difficult to sort out what's what when one thing is recommended one month and something different the next. Plus we're all individuals with different needs and abilities, different body types, different metabolisms, etc. With their university training and required continuing post-graduate education, dietitians can help sort through all the information out there to tell us what is best for each one of us.

I found it very helpful when I sought the assistance of a dietitian, and learned a great deal about my own body's processing of nutrition and what kind of eating plan would work best for me based on my needs.

Good luck!

garcinia cambogia

thanks to all who replied to my question. I will stick to eating less and burning more calories. Diet Aids are SO tempting! This one sounded like it didn't have stimulants and I bought it in a big-name chain drug store. Oh well. I have substituted grapes or snow peas or other raw stuff for snacks. Not as good as not snacking at all but better than nothing. I am also tired alot from the meds which is why I had cut back on them. Never again! I'm still sore from the seizure possibly caused by the garcinia cambogia three weeks later. It is supposed to be an appetite suppressor only. I guess that is a type of metabolism changer.

Have you had a look at the Modified Atkins Diet (MAD)? John's Hopkins is having some excellent results with it against adult epilepsy. A pleasant side effect is that it often results in weight loss too. Give it a google.

Hi Masterjen
I've actually booked in to see a dietician next month. He's been highly recommended and treats a lot of people with chronic illness. I'm hoping that will help, not just for weight loss but for wellness and my immune system. Thanks for the suggestion

Back
Top Bottom