Generic Ativan

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sturg

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have been taking 1 Ativan 2 mg at bedtime for about 15 years. This helps my anxiety that is caused by the nocturnal seizures I have had all my life. Now that I am forced to take generic Ativan, Lorazepam 2mg I have been not sleeping. I wake up certain nights crying for no reason. I have had graphic horrible dreams. My stomach becomes extremely upset which is usually the result of anxiety on me. I have tried Mylan & Ranbaxy generic Lorazepam with the same result. I have even, on certain nights, taken a 10 mg Ambien to fall asleep which has not worked. This is like a panic disorder that I get each night. Every night is not the same so my assumption is I am getting a variable amount of Lorazepam which is causing this. I can't afford the brand only Ativan. I have told my doctor but she believes it is just my anxiety that is causing this to happen, not the generic Lorazepam.CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME DIRECTION ON WHAT I SHOULD DO? STURG

Since you don't have the option of taking the brand, try and be proactive about other ways you might be able to reduce your anxiety and sleep better:
1. Avoid caffeine after noontime, and heavy meals after 8pm.
2. Schedule 5-minute "meditation" sessions throughout the day -- they don't have to be fancy, just little time-outs where you close your eyes and pay attention to your breathing. If you make it a regular habit, it can potentially have a preventive effect by allowing your system to de-stress before stuff builds up.
3. Seek out happy, relaxing things -- music, a favorite book, etc. -- and make them a part of your evening pre-bedtime ritual.
4. Avoid any screen activity (TV computer, smartphone) within two hours of bedtime. Exposure to blue screens has been shown to suppress melatonin (one of the brain's natural "sleep hormones").
5. Once you get into bed, try progressive relaxation -- basically it's slowly tensing and releasing your muscles, starting at your feet and moving all the way up to your head and neck. Breathing should be from the abdomen, with slightly longer exhales than inhales.
5. Consider trying a magnesium supplement at night. I occasionally take a magnesium taurate supplement before bedtime when I'm worried about getting to sleep. It seems to work for me.

Apologies if you've already tried some or all of the above. I hope you can find something that helps.

Back
Top Bottom