Generic Keppra - Levetiracetam

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

John Sturgis

Pillar
Reaction score
I will be switching from brand only keppra to levetiracetam in Sept, 2011.
The levitiracetam is made by Mylan Pharmaceuticals. Has anyone had any breakthrough seizures by taking this type of heneric? The drugstore has promised me that they will keep me on Mylan levetiracetam in future if I make the switch. Reason: 90 day supply BO keppra = $370; 90 supply levetiracetam = $67. Thank You - John S.

I'm on generic but it's in addition to my Lamictal - they put me on that generic (lamotragine)(Indian mfg) and I had problems. They moved me (at my insistance) to Teva generic (US made) and I'm doing fine but now they won't cover Teva anymore so I got my doc to put me back on brand - I'm on Kaiser so it's their cost, not mine, but stupid of them. Mylan is US so more supervision by FDA, so at least you've got that - I've got no confidence in anything made in India and China and now there's a bunch of articles (Wall Street Journal etc) where the FDA is rethinking those imports because of lack of supervision, inconsistency of dosage and so on. Good luck.

I've been on both- no problem, but for me Levetiracetam has been a wonder drug. Be careful making the switch, especially if you are operating a vehicle. You may need to go up more depending on the difference in strength, but for me leve is just as strong as keppra was. GL

Generic Keppra

Epilepsee ,

I only take Levetiracetam at bedtime but I understand what your saying about varying strengths in generics. I have saved a month supple of Brand Only Keppra if I have to switch back, Thanks, John S.

Back
Top Bottom