Generic Keppra XR

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

John Sturgis

Pillar
Reaction score
I know there is a generic Keppra but is there a generic Keppra XR? If so what are the negatives about changing to the generic?

I don't think there is a generic keppra xr. And it depends how long you have been on it. my Dr. keeps me on Keppra because it made a difference in my seizures. Depakote is different to.

The only possible difference is that the generic can use a different filler. Some people might have sensitivities to it but I feel most people will not see a difference.

I have heard some people on this site say that there might be a difference in dosage but I find that hard to believe given the regulations they are under the dosage should be what they say it is.
Keppra tablets, liquid, and intravenous solution are now available in generic form (Keppra XR is still available only in brand-name form). Generic Keppra is available in three strengths and is currently produced by a number of companies.

http://epilepsy.emedtv.com/keppra/generic-keppra.html

Generics are quite often just as good as the branded drugs, but asking different pharmacists--if they're truthful--and doing some digging on the Net as well, you'll find that generics can have a bit of a difference.

The difference is this: the brand name manufacturer is what the "recipe" is based on. Other generic manufacturers make the drug as well, but their combinations, possibly due to fillers or other things, make the potency of generics vary from 80% to 120% of the branded drug.

That variation can cause some problems.

If you find a generic manufacturer that works for you and your body, that's cool. But, if your pharmacy suddenly changes who they're buying from, it won't necessarily be the same generic manufacturer, and consequently, not the same "recipe."

Your option is to try the generic and see what happens. If you find it doesn't work, go to the branded drug and try it. If THAT doesn't work, then you know that the drug just doesn't work for you.

Good luck!

Meetz
:rock:

Ive been on Keppra XR since November 2010. Before that, I was on the Keppra. I had major headaches, and when I met my dr who I am seeing now, back in November, he suggested I try the Keppra XR because the medication stays at a good level, instead of going up and down like the Keppra was doing for me, causing the headaches to occur. Once I switched to the Keppra XR all of my headaches went away. My dr has never had me try the generics and said if what I have been on is working for me, he would rather leave me go, and not have to worry about switching me to the generic and cause problems.

I dont think there is a generic of the Keppra XR.

I take keppra, no generic form. I have been on it so long my doc sais there is a differece,not much but my body is so sensitive that on that particular drug He keeps me on Brand.

Hi Kristin, Thanks for your response. All my seizures are nocturnal so I thought directing the keppra level to those hours that I sleep might be the way to go. I'm also paying $350/90 day suPPLY for Keppra XR & I know that generic Keppra is about $65/90 supply. Last night was my first night of change back to regular Keppra - I slept very well but did wake up with 30 second seizure this morning. I'm going to track how I feel throughout day & try again tonight. I may contact you if I have negative feelings while I am going through this OK? God Bless you & your 3 boys. I have 3 boys also! John

Feel free to contact me anytime John. :) Do you have a Keppra Savings Card? My dr gave me a card that I can use at a pharmacy. when I started taking the Keppra XR, with my husband's insurance, we could get a 6 month supply at our walgreens for $100, and with the card, it saved me $30. so I was only spending $70 for a 6 month supply.

Now our insurance changed things around starting July 1, 2011. We can still go to our walgreen's pharmacy for one month supply medications, but now our insurance is making us go through Express Scripts for 3 or 6 month supplies. And on top of that, the program doesnt allow us to use the Keppra savings card. So there goes my $30 savings!

Thanks for response momof3boys,
I changed back to keppra 1 week ago - so far for me I am sleeping better. I may try to go generic for last 3 months of 2011. It's sad how all of our prescription health plans take advantage of people. The stranglehold that the pharmaseudical companies have on society is sad. People can work 20+ years saving a little money for security & a perscription need will come up in family & they are left with nothing. For me by moving to generic keppra means I pay less to get it but it just pushes forward the date in the year that caremark will start paying 80%. So next year I will probably pay the same whether I an on generic or not through the year. Political society & greed equals added pressures on low yo middle class individuals, of any age, with any health problem to live with an added anxiety. I realize that at some point in my life I will be forced to go totally generic so I will start changing now. I'm sorry if I sound upset, Good Luck - John Sturgis

Brand-name Keppra XR is manufactured by UCB, Inc. However, the patents for Keppra XR have expired, and Keppra XR is now available in generic form.

Hope things are going good for you. Let us know how things are going!

I am living day to day trying to make all my appoitments. With a smile on my face. And swimming just about every day. and they are building a gym here and for me exercise is the best way to cope.How are you doing?

Back
Top Bottom