Getting Worse

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi,
It seems my partial seizures are getting worse. I did previously experience a facial droop and confusion but over the last few weeks I've been getting quite noticeable twitching whenever I have a seizure. My hands, arms, neck and torso are affected. Is this part n parcel of having partials? My main concern is that it doesn't develop into tonic clonics. I'm not due to see my Neuro til March and trying to get an appointment to see him sooner is impossible. My GP hasn't really expressed an opinion. Any advice?

Angelita14

Most GP's do not express an opinion because they do not know much about epilepsy, it is difficult to find a GP who knows about E. My arm or leg tends to twitch a lot my face seems to be at it the whole time but it is seldom anybody notices my face but you do notice my arm or leg. I think it is in part, but this is only my opinion, a type of seizure.

I agree with Fedup. If you can't get an appointment right away, try to have a message passed to the neurologist. I had an issue with partials sneaking back up on me. I passed the message on and had a phone call within a few hours suggesting an increase. The problem was taken care of without an appointment and at no extra cost.

It never hurts to call and ask.

Are your hands, arms and torso affected all at once, or one at a time? If they happen one at a time, you may want to look up Jacksonian March and see if that sounds familiar. I hope you get in touch with your neuro!

They won't make a exception due to your case getting worse?

I'm in Canada but my family doctor fast tracked me into seeing my neurologist so I waited less than a month.

I agree with N Sperlo - definitely try to get a message passed to them via their receptionist at your neurology dept. Their usual job is actually to filter calls to the neurologists, but may pass it along if it seems urgent enough..

A call-back suggesting an increase in one of your meds would seem likely..

Thanks for all of your advice, I appreciate it. Lindsay, I looked up this 'Jacksonian March thingy' and that's EXACTLY how it was! First my hands then wrist then elbow, arm, shoulder, neck n right up to my head! I'm seeing my GP Monday so I'll ask about it but like FedUp said, GP's aren't experts. I'll ring the Neuros secretary Monday too. Theyre like Rottweilers though!

If it was like a Jacksonian, definitely call your neuro and try to be assertive about your issue--those can definitely progress. Take care and I hope you are doing better soon.

Back
Top Bottom