Giving Blood

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Rebecca wants to give blood tomorrow at her school. I wanted to find out rules and regulations. Since she is not on any medication, I really doubt there would be an issue.

I remember a thread on the subject, but I can't seem to find it. It is possible that it might have been discussed in another forum. However, I highly doubt it, since this is the BEST forum. Anybody see this thread lying around anywhere?

Thank you Julie... I don't know why I couldn't pull it up in a search.
I appreciate you doing that for me.

No problem Robin :) I think it's great Rebecca wants to give blood, and the thread is an interesting read.

She gave blood today without a problem. She said she felt a little light headed afterwards but just rested a while longer and was fine.

That is great, well done Rebecca!!!!! Somebody will be very appreciative.

After reading the attached thread, can people taking aeds or having regular seizures not give blood?

We have a mobile blood donating bank pull up outside work every so often and a lot of people from my workplace go out and donate. I have never been able to donate because I travel to Africa and other under developed countries regularly and this prohibits me, I have never thought of my seizures as being a problem.

I've never

been allowed to because of my seizure meds, but have recently found out that I should have been allowed to after all.......

The information that I found is that if your seizures are controlled they don't give you a problem. In fact if you have meds in your blood they use that for specific reasons. I found that interesting.

I have always given blood, and given platelets. I am reminded that I need to do that again soon. They like my blood.

Thanks for the information Robin. I guess the reason I can't is cause of the medication in my blood and I'm not seizure-free.

I take medication and my seizures are uncontrolled but the Red Cross still says I can donate, so I do.

I used to give blood

I also received a transfusion long before they gave it all these tests for stuff.
I'm ok, it's just that they thought they found something this last time around.
I went to my doctor, and that blood test said I'm fine. Had one again this year. Thinking about going back and trying again. But I do have a weird antibody from the transfusion.

Never had a problem donating myself. I've been controlled on valproate for years now. have given blood about 8 times. No problems yet :) They've always taken my blood. I've been lazy the last few months though. haven't donated in a while.

Back
Top Bottom