[GARD/GFCF] Gluten & Epilepsy -Leaky Brain Syndrome

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This is interesting. 10 months ago when I was finally diagnosed with epilepsy-3 days later, I got a biopsy back from a rash I had been having for a few years. Gluten issue. I thought great, I cannot drive, or eat! I decided to deal with one at a time, and the seizures seems to be more important. After 10 months of meds, and side effects, I think I better look further into this. Thanks.

I"m very reluctant to believe any of that. If you look in any medical encyclopedia you will not find any such thing as leaky brain syndrome.

Also the blood brain barrier consists of Endothelial Cells Which are part of blood vessels. I highly doubt that misfiring neurons can effect the same cells that Arteries and Veins are made of like the website says. There's just no relation. If our seizures effected the blood brain barrier then it would have also effected the blood vessels around the brain.

The blood–brain barrier (BBB) is a separation of circulating blood and the brain extracellular fluid (BECF) in the central nervous system (CNS). It occurs along all capillaries and consists of tight junctions around the capillaries that do not exist in normal circulation. Endothelial cells restrict the diffusion of microscopic objects (e.g. bacteria) and large or hydrophilic molecules into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), while allowing the diffusion of small hydrophobic molecules (O2, hormones, CO2). Cells of the barrier actively transport metabolic products such as glucose across the barrier with specific proteins. This barrier also includes a thick basement membrane and astrocytic endfeet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood-brain_barrier

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom