Gluten Medications ???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KelVarQ

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone know a good site where I can determine whether or not certain medications have gluten? I had a back tooth extracted yesterday and they gave me 2 medications as well as did a bone graft for the preparation of an implant. Last night I had a small seizure and I've been doing fantastic with the gluten diet so I want to determine if any of the above were possible causes. Yes, I'm assuming just the tooth being extracted could've been the cause, but I want to make sure.

I'm finding myself getting enraged that they're not labeling EVERYTHING gluten or non-gluten. I did ask the dentist about the bone graft and even novacane but it was semi-dismissed with a wave of "no gluten is wheat products" and I responded by saying, "the sticky side of a stamp is gluten!" I'm sort of freaking out to think possibly the bone graft material contains Gluten and if it does I need to go to the dentist and have them remove all of it but I can't seem to find any answers. Any ideas how to go about getting the answers for the meds too would be very much appreciated.

Also, some local anesthetics contain epinephrine which can be a trigger.

Last night I had a small seizure and I've been doing fantastic with the gluten diet so I want to determine if any of the above were possible causes. Yes, I'm assuming just the tooth being extracted could've been the cause, but I want to make sure.

I'm finding myself getting enraged that they're not labeling EVERYTHING gluten or non-gluten. I did ask the dentist about the bone graft and even novacane but it was semi-dismissed with a wave of "no gluten is wheat products" and I responded by saying, "the sticky side of a stamp is gluten!" I'm sort of freaking out to think possibly the bone graft material contains Gluten and if it does I need to go to the dentist and have them remove all of it but I can't seem to find any answers.

Or, perhaps the fact you're becoming enraged could be the cause of the seizure. Too much stress causes seizures!

Thanks

Thanks Nakamova for the site and I will definitely check into it.

Clint, perhaps I shouldn't have used the term enraged. I guess I'm just SHOCKED at this Gluten Free diet and how well I seem to be doing on it. 5-6 seizures a week to 3 this whole month, including last nights and the prior 2 was from accidently having Gluten. I think every channel on T.V. should have one of those emergency warnings telling us about Gluten or they should just eliminate it completely. I'm a newbie to this diet so I'm ALL OVER IT and I'm feeling pretty passionate about how bad it is for us. I now have my husband on it and I want my 2 year old daughter on it too just because I know the way it makes me feel. Have you tried the diet? If so, how do you like it?

I'm not totally gluten free, but do know it is bad for the body. I do watch my diet very carefully because in addition to epilepsy I also have Type 1 diabetes. I try to eat like skillefer suggests. Six small meals a day, low on carbs. I have to take insulin 4 times a day and check my glucose numerous times throughout the day, making sure it doesn't drop below 70, otherwise, I start shaking and get weird in the head. It has been down to 36 before in the night. Not good!

You might also consider that if there was any silver filling involved in the slightest way that the mercury could also be a trigger for seizures.

Also toothpaste can contain gluten, so I would assume some of the products that dentists use might too.

I know a few of the vitamins have gluten as a binder. you can read on the label. in canada it says gluten free on it

If it's a matter of finding out if there's gluten (or anything) in a medication I've found the pharmacists to be more knowledgeable than the doctors or dentists.

I do believe there is also an issue with the actual gel capsule.
Also some of the medicine that has a color coating have caused neurological issues for some.

Back
Top Bottom