Go Back to Dilantin or move on to Another Drug?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Just wanted some opinions on this.... I was on Dilantin for 17 years, but got off of it because of some bone loss. I'm classified as osteopenia. However, in the almost 2 years since I've been off that drug my life has been hell. I was on neuontin alone and now Keppra alone.

I'm not having a problem with seizures, but I am physcially tired alot, mentally sometimes not sharp, and have ZERO sex drive. As a guy, this last part is the most troubling.

I'm thinking I've had it with Keppra, and I see my neuro tomorrow, so I am facing the prospect of switching to something new.. he'll probably choose Lamictal.

I've wondered about going back to Dilantin though as I felt fine other than the bone loss, which you obviously dont really feel anyway. I'm so tired of not feeling like myself.

Anyone have any drug recommendations or heard of any problems going back to a drug after time off of it?

Thanks,

D:rock:

I would sure talk to my doctor if I were you about side effects. I have been on several medications since October, but was horribly allergic. The Keppra side effect were so awful for for me I did't want to wake up in the morning. I am now on Topomax, and like I the best so far-it keeps me awake most of the night, however, I am a female, and my sex drive is gone! Not too fun for girls either-I am not stingy, so I do not deprive my partner, but the whole thing is not fun or enjoyable at this point. My next appt is not for 6 weeks. I am hoping that I will adapt, and thing will get better. I cannot believe I am discussing this publicly!

I wouldn't worry about discussing it publicly (on this site). If you want to get to the root of the problem, I've found that modesty is the first thing that has to go..

Plus, the internet affords some anonymity at least..

Dignan --

Ultimately it's your call about the med you take. If you decide to go back to the Dilantin, commit to doing everything you can to prevent further bone loss. Have you had bone scans that shows the degree or rate of bone loss? Are you taking calcium/D/magnesium supplements to help? Certain weight-bearing exercises can help too.

Just got back from the neuro.. I'm so tired of telling him how I'm feeling and hearing him say, well keppra really isn't known for that...

SO WHAT?

As far as the drug choices go, he basically said what Naka said: it's my call. He said other than the bone loss, Dilantin worked well for me, so maybe we could transition to it just to see if my other effects went away and then we could either keep it and just try and fight the bone loss as best we can. Or, he suggested Trileptal or Lamictal.

To answer Naka's question: Yes, I have been taking a product called Bone-Up for 2 years. Its a combo of Calcium, D3, Magnesium, Vit C and Vit K, etc. I'm not scheduled for another Bone scan till sometime next year though. Plus, I do exercise as well.

I'll do the work; I'll do whatever I can do; thats never been my problem. My problem is that the drugs paint you into a corner so that regardless what you do, you seem to lose.

It's frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom