going down on ssri meds and more seizures??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I have a question...has anyone gone down or off of SSRI meds and found there to be an increase in seizures. I was placed on 3 different antidepressant meds over the course of 12 yrs. prior to seizure diagnosis. One at a time. They thought it was anxiety/panic attacks.Switched me around.. I had a terrible time coming off of Paxil (horrible side effects coming off was HELL), Lexapro, was not too bad, (at least I don't remember it as terrible) Well..now that I finally have been Dxed and it hasn't helped at all with the chronic pain...I am coming down on Cymbalta. I have had some headaches, jitters, funny headed feeling, and an increase in seizures. I am trying to figure out if it is related or something else. Anyone else have this problem??
Thanks,
Michelle

Boy do I feel dumb; not sure what an SSRI is. But, when I was suddenly taken off Geodon in 2006 due to an allergic reaction to it after taking it for 2 years, it was hellish. I had an increase in seizures immediately and then had auras every couple of hours for about six months. One day, it cleared. I am now back to my "normal" pattern of seizures for about a year.

Hi Molly,

Don't feel dumb at all...I had no idea prior to being put on this class of meds.
SSRI means selective Serotonin reuptake inhibitor..What a mouthful, huh? Serotonin in our brains is a chemical that some people are lacking in amounts.
Anyways..thank you for that bit of info. I think part of it may be related for sure. I guess time will tell!
Hope you are doing well!!

Michelle

Michelle,
These are really powerful meds. So it is likely that they would alter brain function if you remove them. You might need to go slower than you are.

My son was on Paxil, and then switched to Wellbutrin and they were awful when he decided to stop.

I think you're right Robin. I am going really slow..and as directed by the Dr. but I know they can still be really tough with all sorts of side effects..Zaps with the brain, shakes etc. I guess it stands to reason.
Michelle

Hang in there Michelle. There most definintely can be an increase in seizures anytime you are changing drugs that alter neurotransmitter function (which SSRI's do). Which, if you think about it, makes sense...because as individuals with epilepsy, our neurotransmitters are intermittently misfiring anyway. :e:

Take care of yourself. Keep in touch with your neuro. and keep us posted!

Sending you prayers for relief from these stupid side-effects. :) -Julie

Thanks Julie!
I appreciate it. I guess it makes sense. I thought that may be the case..just wondered if anyone else had this as well. I slept better last night than the night before, but still woke up with a headache.Hope you are doing well!!

Michelle

anytime you come off one of those meds always have be careful about it because most like seizures will increase.I never had a problem with mine when I came of them though.
But they can increase them.
Belinda

Belinda and Julie

are right. Is there anything that the docs can give you in the meantime to help you out......maybe up one of your AED's or something, so that the seizures go back down?
:ponder:

Are they cutting you off cold or is the titration
of this being gradual? Sudden halt of certain
medication(s) can trigger seizures and other
health problems and be dangerous for some
people's health. If you aren't being introduced
to something else or experiencing problems,
I suggest strongly that you notify your Doctor
about this without any delays if the seizures are
increasing or worsening because of these medication
or medications are being removed.

Back