Going to Try Melatonin for Sleeping

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, today I heard back from my neurologist's office. They said they were concerned with how many seizures I had thursday night. They can see 1 or 2, but my husband said it was more like 7 that I had between 12am and 5am. I dont recall them, but woke up friday morning feeling really tired, sluggish, worn out, weak and had a huge headache that lasted the whole day friday. So after speaking with the dr, the nurse called me back saying to try the Melatonin before bed. She said to take it an hour before sleeping. And also when I do have those days where I cant sleep, or have been up a long period of time, like Id id thursday, where I was up at 6:45am and didnt get to sleep til 12am, they want me to add an extra 500mg tablet of Keppra at my night time dose. But before doing that, Im going to try the Melatonin and see if it helps. Im really hoping thats what its from and it will help so I wont have to add the extra Keppra at night.

So at least I got some news on ways to help me get more sleep so I wont have seizures at night! :)

I hope this works out for you Kristin
I hate when it feels like I've had sleep seizures
and I need a new bed

I know someone who takes melatonin and she seems to appreciate it

Thanks Petero!

Im hoping it works too! I still need to get out to the store to pick up some! Im hoping once I start taking it, it will work for me! :)

Whoa...word to the wise (just an experience, everyone is soo different that it's worth whatever you'd like); I took Melatonin in conjunction with Lamictal 300 mg and Keppra 1000mg and had THE worst nightmares I have ever had in my life. Ever. I figured that fitful sleeping, seizure or no seizure, was better than ANY of that. Ugh, even thinking about it makes my skin crawl ....

Whoa...word to the wise (just an experience, everyone is soo different that it's worth whatever you'd like); I took Melatonin in conjunction with Lamictal 300 mg and Keppra 1000mg and had THE worst nightmares I have ever had in my life. Ever. I figured that fitful sleeping, seizure or no seizure, was better than ANY of that. Ugh, even thinking about it makes my skin crawl ....

Oh no! I hope that doesnt happen with me! When I was on Vimpat, I had the most vivid dreams ever, and half of them were like nightmares! I didnt like that at all! Im just hoping to get some help on falling asleep so no more seizures come about! Luckly though, I havnt had any more seizures since thursday night! :)

I hope that doesn't happen to you either! It was awful! Just a terrible vivid madness...I thought at first it was simply me having these awful dreams but when they started getting more and more out of control and more daft, I had to stop taking the Melatonin as I wasn't getting much sleep anyway haha (wake up from one of those babies and you can kiss sleeping goodbye!) I have heard similar stories about Vimpat and dreams...it would be interesting to do a study to find correlation between the medications on which people report these things and whatever causation that could find...

Well I'm glad to hear you haven't had an seizures since Thursday (nearly a week! :) ) so tell your brain to keep up the good work ;) Let us know how it works for you :)

Melatonin never did a thing for me...I'm still tossing and turning, and sweating...

Do be careful, I tried melatonin for a couple of weeks & it didn't help my insomnia but my seizures became more intense with worse post-ictal effects which surprised me since I'd expected the opposite if any change at all.

I look forward to hearing how you do with it.

Thanks for the helpful information! I will for sure be looking out for any "bad" Changes.

If my son doesn't take his melatonin, for sure we'll get a seizure.
The doctor started him on 3mg, but he is now on 6mg and it seems to be doing the trick !

I just got home from picking up a bottle of 3mg tablets of Melatonin. wasnt that bad of a price, I got 240 tablets for under $9. I sure hope these work well for me! :)

The first and last time I took melatonin (1mg) I was out of it for 15 hours. I slept, but I slept until 11am the next day. I felt groggy and that feeling didn't go away until the next day.

Everybody's different, but I advise caution with the 3mg dosage. Only take the lowest effective dose.

Back
Top Bottom