Good and bad at the same time, and a question, again!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cherriuz

New
Reaction score
So, round 3 happened in the short space of timesince this has started. Roughly coming about a week apart.
But, my partner was home this time! To fill in the blanks! I'm hoping this will help at neurology rather than me going and sitting there saying I have no idea. So, we have confirmed I was fitting for 3-4mins, wet myself and chomped my tongue (OUCH!)

BUT, the thing I'm unsure/worried about is the fact he has told me for 15-20mins following coming round in a dazed/unaware/not really there state. I had no idea who I was, who he was, or even that I had 2 children upstairs. Apprently this all came back slowly.

I rang my doctor today for advice on this being as she never mentioned anything and she said rather than taking an appointment I can ring her anytime. Reception were not welcoming of this idea and said they will put a note and she might ring tomorrow.

So, I ask, is that normal? Should I be worried about it? :ponder:

also, sorry for the questions. I am just learning my way through this, and sometimes I swear it feels like I have never felt more alone in my life. So thank you for taking the time to read.
:cheers:

Welcome Cherriuz!
Not to worry, this is completely normal after a tonic clonic (grand mal). Your neurological system has been disrupted, your body is in a state of shock and it takes your brain a bit of time to straighten itself out. When you are unconscious like that you are completely shut down and though you 'wake up' you're not going to recognize certain things or be able to talk properly right away.
This is to be expected and not in any way something to stress out about, unless:
-your memory and/or speech doesn't come back after a short period of time (this may signal the onset of another seizure; if you don't regain full consciousness after/between them it's known as status epilepticus and is time for the ER).
It's great that he was with you, a witness who can watch you and the clock is such a blessing, and if he said it was 15-20 mins. that's within the normal range. After a tonic clonic I just sit there wide-eyed in shock. I can't form words for 5-10 mins, can't walk straight, and have the mental capacity of about a four-year-old. But it does all come back. So, deep breath, you're okay! Just let your partner know to keep an eye on the clock to see how long you're out of it. (((HUGS)))

Thank you so much for your reply. I am feeling, to be honest, kind of relieved, but also, I still dont think it has sunk in that this is all happening so fast. My body still aches and my lord is my tongue sore!
I shall now try and go about my life as normal as I can and await my first appointment with neurology some more!
I am so relieved I have found this place, the people here are AMAZING, and I have yet to be slated for asking too many questions (even though i cant help but feel im spamming you all!)

You will never be frowned upon for asking too many questions, that's what the site is for. Ask, answer, vent, cry, then do it all over again as much as you need. If it truly is epilepsy, the beginning is one of the most terrifying (if not the most) places you'll be, and I found, as many others on here would tell you, that one of the best ways to find relief is learn about it as much as you can. Talk, research, whatever it takes to find the answers you need.

I am glad i found this place already to be honest. ive not even made the first appointment with neurology yet or had a diagnosis, just a suggestion from my doctor. and everyone is being so helpful as i start out trying to find out the cause. I have NO idea what to expect or what the outcome will be but finding people experiencing the same kind of thing as me, makes the world of difference in my opinion. ((hugs))

Back
Top Bottom