A good med for migraine control?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sheripark

New
Reaction score
I just stopped taking nortryptiline (sp) for migraine control because it is thinning my hair. Any suggestions I can offer to my neurologist? I have immetrex but would like a prevenative. One that doesn't effect my hair. Topomax brittled my hair and it fell out in bunches. That one is a no too. Please help :)

Sheri

Nortryptiline (Pamelor) is usually prescribed as an anti-depressant, but is also used as a preventive for migraines.

I've taken Imitrex for migraines and I also take Topomax for seizures. Neurontin can be prescribed for both also as can Zonegran. I also take over the counter Excedrin for migraines.

Thanks! I'll look into zonagram. Maybe it will help my keppra with my break through seizures :))

Thanks for bringing up the subject!

I use Imitrex too. I want/wish my doctor would prescribe a preventive. I had a migraine yesterday.... as hard as I tried not to use the Imitrex, I had to :( I want to look into the Nortryptiline, Neurontin and Zonegran. At least talk to my doctor about them.

I loved the nortriptyline but it made my hair thin big time. I'm going to ask about zonegram too. Don't know much about neurontin either. Side effects I can't handle is weight gain or hair loss.

I am just now getting my thick hair back. I had thyroid issues and it was falling out in HANDFULS. I really was amazed I didn't have bald spots.
I do not need to gain any more weight :/ I am going to talk to my doctor about the three. I am so tired of these headaches. Plus I get so tired when I have the headache. My husband probably thinks I just want a nap, but holy hannah, they really hurt :/

Back
Top Bottom