Good News And Bad News! Please HELP!!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stinkpot

New
Reaction score
I recently got my MRI scans and I'm so happy to say that there are no problems!

But what could be causing my seizures now?

The only thing that comes to mind is a spinal tumor!
I have a bulging disc L4-L5 - but I actually think it may be a tumor! Even though I don't like arguing with doctors, some doctors make mistakes.

Like I've shared before, I have a habit with pulling little ingrown hairs and popping pimples off my legs. It can be aslong as an hour. When I do this I often have simple partials. Last night I was doing it and I had a nasty complex partial!

The only theory I can come up with is that when I bend over to do this, I'm putting pressure on the "tumor."
I have no pain in my back, even when I pick at my legs.
I don't know how long I've had the "bulging disc," so there is no info on it's history.

Please help! I need an idea! I can't offord to see a spine doctor right now cause my parents won't take me seriously. I'm just "paranoid" from what's said to me constantly.

But even if it's not a tumor and just a bulging disc - there's some type of connection between the disc and seizures. It's not a coincidence to have have partial seizures when staying bent over for a long period of time. It's seems so obvious.

I would appreciate any type of help!

Regards,

Stinkpot.

Hi, Stinkpot,

Oh, gosh. Dealing with doctors can be so hard. Difficult to pin them down on anything.

Did your bulging disk show up on your MRI? They can tell the difference between a tumor and a bulging disk. They look different. If you are still worried, ask for an epilepsy protocol MRI. It uses a super-strong machine and does thinner slices. They find more stuff, if it is there. Not all imaging centers can do this. They don't have the equipment.

I don't rule out that bulging disks can cause seizures, or at least can be a trigger. I wonder if pain can be a trigger?

Paranoia, fear, and depression can be caused by seizures and the meds. So be aware that you may distrust your doctors and others a little more than the average person. But as I know you have read, there are a lot of docs out there that are less than perfectly competent so I guess there is a reason to be careful.

Popping pimples... it could be a warning that a seizure is coming. some seizures and/or auras have automatism as either as a pre-seizure warning, or as a part of the seizure itself. Of course, auras are actually seizures. Can you stop what you are doing, or is it more like a dream? Take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatism_(medicine)

I googled "bulging disk seizures." A bunch of stuff popped up, mostly about pets. Maybe it's worth a read through to see if anything strikes a chord for you.

Hang in there.

Here's another theory about bending over and seizures -- it's an awkward position for breathing/circulation/oxygenation, which can be a seizure trigger (something along the lines of standing up too quickly, or putting your hands over head). I've also found that focusing on certain kinds of stuff "allows" my abnormal brain waves to misbehave, while other kinds of activities (especially more physical ones) are less likely to be conducive to seizures.

I'm not discounting the bulging disc -- spinal pressures can also cause neurological symptoms depending on where they're located. Since you've made the connection between the bending-over activity and your simple partials, at least you know that avoiding that posture can help prevent them. Can you make an appointment with your regular doctor? That may be the place to start with questions about your spine and a possible tumor.

as overall disturbing it is to imagine mens' pimples and depilitory actions this issue strikes a chord with me...
playing guitar and working on my artwork involves quite a bit of bending and awkward postures
I fractured a transverse process on my L5 or so many years ago too
I have been improving my posture
but seizures I recall have been associated with standing (not rapidly) or decent posture

Hi, Stinkpot,

Oh, gosh. Dealing with doctors can be so hard. Difficult to pin them down on anything.

Did your bulging disk show up on your MRI? They can tell the difference between a tumor and a bulging disk. They look different. If you are still worried, ask for an epilepsy protocol MRI. It uses a super-strong machine and does thinner slices. They find more stuff, if it is there. Not all imaging centers can do this. They don't have the equipment.

I don't rule out that bulging disks can cause seizures, or at least can be a trigger. I wonder if pain can be a trigger?

Paranoia, fear, and depression can be caused by seizures and the meds. So be aware that you may distrust your doctors and others a little more than the average person. But as I know you have read, there are a lot of docs out there that are less than perfectly competent so I guess there is a reason to be careful.

Popping pimples... it could be a warning that a seizure is coming. some seizures and/or auras have automatism as either as a pre-seizure warning, or as a part of the seizure itself. Of course, auras are actually seizures. Can you stop what you are doing, or is it more like a dream? Take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatism_(medicine)

I googled "bulging disk seizures." A bunch of stuff popped up, mostly about pets. Maybe it's worth a read through to see if anything strikes a chord for you.

Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom