That good ol' pre-seizure feeling

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
Your thoughts and experience would really help out here. How do I get this to stop?

I've been feeling "pre-seizury" for the last two weeks, and I can't figure out why. It's pretty constant with a few breaks here and there. I have a headache, too. (An aura for me is this feeling of impending doom, plus this weird electrical feeling in my head/body) It feels rather awful.

My doc just upped my lamictal 25mg/day to 225mg/day a couple of days ago. Didn't help. He says to give it a couple of weeks. I've been on Avalox (antibiotic) for a couple of weeks, but there's no known drug interation between Avalox-Lamictal, and nothing I could find on the internet. I also have a sinus infection/bronchitis for a couple of weeks, which could be contributing. But I've had that twice before in the last 2 months and not had an escallation in seizures. Also only sleeping 2-4 hours a night but that's been going on for months now. No reason it should change things over the last couple of weeks. In other words, all of the existing conditions have happened together before, and no increase in seizures. So I'm stumped.

The constant aura is the worst of it, but, I'm afraid to drive because I feel like I'm about to have a seizure. So I stay home. This really sucks because I just got my driving privileges back about a week ago and I'd love to be cruising around right now.

Sometimes just a change in the weather can put your system on edge, but I vote for the sinus infection, since its arrival seems to correspond with that of your aura. As you know, infection can lower your seizure threshold. Even though you've had the infection before without pre-seizure-y feelings, your body may just be responding differently this time. Another consideration is that Lamictal can slightly lower your white blood cell count, which may in turn be affecting how you're responding to your infection.

As for what to do about it? Rest, of course, though I know that's tough for you to get right now. Chicken soup (I recommend avgolemeno or tom ka gai for tasty variations). Citrus fruits. Zinc. Whatever works for you. Take extra good care of yourself. It must be tough not to drive, but I think you're doing the right thing by lying low until the awful sensations move on.

Sorry you're feeling "pre-seizurey", Endless.

With my limited experience... The E Nurse I spoke with a couple of weeks ago suggested I take aspirin when I feel pre-seizurey, as she suspects my migraine electrical activity is interfering with my E. I don't know how true that aspect is, but I can vouch for taking 2 x 300mg chewable aspirin (Disprin, here) for killing off the temporal lobe symptoms almost instantly. Gone are the ache, some of the minor TLE symptoms, and the worry that it might lead on to something worse.

However, your situation might be quite different to mine, so... And it looks like the sleep deprivation is a huge issue for you.

All the best
Chel

Last edited:
I'm also Sorry to hear about your pre-ictal feeling.

I know Lorazepam (Ativan) sometimes helps. Also be careful if you do use any type of aspirin as it does interact with some AEDs (like my tegretol).

be careful if you do use any type of aspirin as it does interact with some AEDs (like my tegretol).

Oh, it does? Tell me more. I'm on Tegretol, and didn't know that. The nurse didn't say anything...

I also found a list of common medications that might interact with Tegretol.

* aspirin
* atenolol
* Cymbalta (duloxetine)
* Klonopin (clonazepam)
* Lamictal (lamotrigine)
* levothyroxine
* Lexapro (escitalopram)
* Lipitor (atorvastatin)
* lisinopril
* metformin

* Neurontin (gabapentin)
* omeprazole
* Prozac (fluoxetine)
* Seroquel (quetiapine)
* simvastatin
* Synthroid (levothyroxine)
* Topamax (topiramate)
* trazodone
* Xanax (alprazolam)
* Zoloft (sertraline)

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/carbamazepine,tegretol.html

Hi, Endless:)
Oh no. :-{ :{ By chance, are you taking any otc meds for the bronchitis? Also, why did your neuro increase your Lamictal dosage so high, so quickly? I'm wondering if all the meds you're taking are inteacting with your Lamictal, especially since you mentioned the electrical sensation. As many of you know, I've whined about the electrical feeling, and it's been traced to too much Rx med in my system, or to Rx drug interaction. Take care, Endless & keep us posted. If the feelings get worse, please have someone take you to the ER. ~Ann

otc meds for the bronchitis

That's a good suggestion, Ann. During my recent holiday in the US, I had to take otc cough syrup for bronchitis and couldn't find what I would normally take in Australia. I ended up with something yellow, and it sent my brain into an electrical frenzy. Cleared my lungs, but my brain didn't like it at all! I learned on that trip that the yellow colouring (can't recall the name of it) is a trigger for me.

A possibility, Endless?

I'm feeling a bit better this evening. I still feel pre-seizury, but the intensity has lowered by about half so it's tolerable until I get it stopped for good.

I so appreciate all of your thoughts, and all of you are right about what I should be doing. I'll lay low, take and eat all the good things, and call the doc in the morning about ativan.

My doc has ramped me up on the lamictal really slowly. It took a few months to get to 200mg, and he just upped it by 25mg. So that can't be it.

And no OTC for this girl. When I was on Topamax I had some truly bizzare drug interactions with over the counter stuff. It was weird - benedryl gave me bad nosebleeds, sudefed made me feel like there was a giant bumblebee in my head, cough medicine made my whole body vibrate. I haven't touched them since, even though I'm not on the Topamax any more. Oh - I am sucking on Ricola for the cough, if that counts. And drinking gallons of water.

Anybody in here been on Avalox (antibiotic)? No drug interaction listed on Drugs.com, but I thought I'd ask.

There IS one bright side to a full-on respiratory infection - I slept a little more last night. Four and a half hours, which is at least an hour more than I've been getting since I started Lamictal, so I'm pretty happy about the extra shut-eye. <Funny how my standards have plunged.>

Endless...

Found this information on Avelox from rxlist.com. Could be it's the Avelox itself, not a drug interaction. You may want to check with your doctor(s). Good luck, and I hope you're feeling better soon.

"Quinolones, including AVELOX, may cause central nervous system (CNS) events, including: nervousness, agitation, insomnia, anxiety, nightmares or paranoia. [see ADVERSE REACTIONS.]

Convulsions have been reported in patients receiving quinolones. Quinolones may also cause central nervous system (CNS) events including: dizziness, confusion, tremors, hallucinations, depression, and, rarely, suicidal thoughts or acts. These reactions may occur following the first dose. If these reactions occur in patients receiving AVELOX , the drug should be discontinued and appropriate measures instituted. As with all quinolones, AVELOX should be used with caution in patients with known or suspected CNS disorders (for example, severe cerebral arteriosclerosis, epilepsy) or in the presence of other risk factors that may predispose to seizures or lower the seizure threshold."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom