Got caught lying about my epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janellie8

New
Reaction score
Hey guys :)

Sorry I feel like I post too much? And am I even posting in the right place?
Anyways, I had 3 partials today. One of them went by quick, the next one I was real jerky, and the last one I fell :( This last one that I had I also dropped the cat food and knocked over the ironing board (the iron was not on). My parents came running and asked me if I had a seizure. Me. Embarrassed. Said "no I just tripped." Gosh!!! I was screaming in my head trying to say that I did- but my lips didn't want to move and say it. My dad starts to yell (he yells all the time!!) and I feel scared telling him about my epilepsy- he scares me. My two younger brothers are so perfect! And I lied because I wanted to feel perfect. I wanted to be normal like them. I am in bed now. I was planning to just be a big girl and go talk to my dad about it tomorrow morning and tell him that I did have a seizure. But he came to me. About ten minutes after my seizure he came and sat on my bed and says he worries about me. And that he knows I am lying to him. (I think I am a bad liar)? Anyways, I told him that he yells too much. And I told him that I had a seizure. I feel like my parents think that I am the "stupid child." And it just makes me feel like the loser of the family. My brothers are both amazing athletes and I am just the artist that has seizures... I feel kind of better now. Some relief that my dad knows. I know he loves me. I just have to not be scared to tell him about these things. Its too important to lie about this. Plus "I tripped" isn't going to work anymore :D Thanks for listening. Have an amazing day/night everyone!

Hugs,
Janellie :)

Last edited:
Wow, I'm so glad your Dad realized to talk to you. I'm glad you told him that the yelling makes it hard to be honest. I wish they knew, though, that you feel "less than" your brothers... that makes me sad and it's just NOT true!!! I think your Dad would really start yelling if he knew you felt that way. LOL By the way, no one should say JUST an artist!!! I would have given anything to be able to draw or paint or sculpt, or sing or play an instrument. I desparately wanted to be able to express myself in any artistic way and I failed miserably at all of the above. I so admire artists. You have a gift that not everyone has, or can learn. Wear it with pride.

Wow, I'm so glad your Dad realized to talk to you. I'm glad you told him that the yelling makes it hard to be honest. I wish they knew, though, that you feel "less than" your brothers... that makes me sad and it's just NOT true!!! I think your Dad would really start yelling if he knew you felt that way. LOL By the way, no one should say JUST an artist!!! I would have given anything to be able to draw or paint or sculpt, or sing or play an instrument. I desparately wanted to be able to express myself in any artistic way and I failed miserably at all of the above. I so admire artists. You have a gift that not everyone has, or can learn. Wear it with pride.

giveasmile,

Yeah I was so surprised that he came and talked to me! It saved me a lot of rehearsing and anxiety. And I told my mom that I don't feel as perfect as my brothers and she doesn't care, she loves me the way I am, and I hope my dad feels that same way too :) And I never thought about art being a gift, I think that everyone can do it, just in different ways :) I am sure you are amazing! Thank you so much!

Hugs,

And I never thought about art being a gift, I think that everyone can do it, just in different ways :) I am sure you are amazing!

Ha Ha, well try playing pictionary with me some day! :paperbag:

Trust me, not everyone can do it. Thanks for the smile though and I'm glad you got to talk to both of them. Have a great night!

I am a musician/artist/creative sort of person and I have great respect for everyone with those sorts of skills and talents, and the drive to perfect them. Were you aware that many amazingly creative people throughout history have epilepsy? Just google "famous people with epilepsy" and you will be amazed and maybe feel even a little special to be part of that group of people. There is also a book by Eve LaPlante called "Seized" that you might want to read. Great stuff! So, no need to be ashamed of it, it's just a part of what makes you you!
Onward!

I am a musician/artist/creative sort of person and I have great respect for everyone with those sorts of skills and talents, and the drive to perfect them. Were you aware that many amazingly creative people throughout history have epilepsy? Just google "famous people with epilepsy" and you will be amazed and maybe feel even a little special to be part of that group of people. There is also a book by Eve LaPlante called "Seized" that you might want to read. Great stuff! So, no need to be ashamed of it, it's just a part of what makes you you!
Onward!

arnie,

That's awesome that you are creative in so many ways! I will give this a search! And I will definatly try to find this book. I am sure it will make me feel better :) Thanks!!

Hugs,

Being able to create art is a gift ... one that is rare. A lot of times I will try to draw a picture to illustrate a point (history teacher). My students think my absolutely horrible stick figures are hilarious. It is like playing pictionary in class. And sometimes my word retrieval makes me even forget the point I was trying to make.

Were you aware that many amazingly creative people throughout history have epilepsy?

Van gogh is said to have had E. And so did Tolstoy. Lewis Carroll's writing about "Alice in Wonderland" was probably about his own seizures, Temporal Lobe Seizures --the sensation of falling into a deep hole and that shrinking feeling. Check out this website:

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/newsletter/jan10_people

So being creative with E does have some advantages. :ponder: Your father needs to lighten up and get educated about E and what goes on in one's brain during a seizure. You are doing what you can do, so he needs to do what HE can do. Who is the parent here?

Last edited:
Hey guys :)

Sorry I feel like I post too much? And am I even posting in the right place?
Anyways, I had 3 partials today. One of them went by quick, the next one I was real jerky, and the last one I fell :( This last one that I had I also dropped the cat food and knocked over the ironing board (the iron was not on). My parents came running and asked me if I had a seizure. Me. Embarrassed. Said "no I just tripped." Gosh!!! I was screaming in my head trying to say that I did- but my lips didn't want to move and say it. My dad starts to yell (he yells all the time!!) and I feel scared telling him about my epilepsy- he scares me. My two younger brothers are so perfect! And I lied because I wanted to feel perfect. I wanted to be normal like them. I am in bed now. I was planning to just be a big girl and go talk to my dad about it tomorrow morning and tell him that I did have a seizure. But he came to me. About ten minutes after my seizure he came and sat on my bed and says he worries about me. And that he knows I am lying to him. (I think I am a bad liar)? Anyways, I told him that he yells too much. And I told him that I had a seizure. I feel like my parents think that I am the "stupid child." And it just makes me feel like the loser of the family. My brothers are both amazing athletes and I am just the artist that has seizures... I feel kind of better now. Some relief that my dad knows. I know he loves me. I just have to not be scared to tell him about these things. Its too important to lie about this. Plus "I tripped" isn't going to work anymore :D Thanks for listening. Have an amazing day/night everyone!

Hugs,
Janellie,
I can understand how you feel.I have three sisters one was the beautiful one,one the genius,one could of been miss America.I was the one that had epilepsy.I was only one finish high school.Parents are weird
Belinda

Back
Top Bottom