Had a Seizure Last Night

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kate

New
Reaction score
So, around 3:30 AM I had a seizure.. mom said I just completely passed out and it was the most violent one I have ever had. It lasted 27 minutes. Than I came out of it and had one for 2 minutes. Part of this was while the EMTs were there. (I don't remember)

The doctor got to see me in the hospital really quick. Got me some pain medicine (I was hurting horribly - still am), nausea medicine.. etc.

Anyway, I just woke up, and wanted to let you all know. I'll probably be going back to sleep soon.

I'm sad because today would have been two weeks seizure free.

January 16th is when I get to go to the team of neurologists at the IU Med center.. that day cannot come soon enough.

I am so sorry Kate. I hope you feel better after some rest. This won't affect your Christmas Cruise plans will it?

Hi Kate

Sorry to hear about the seizure you had. Hope you feel better soon and everything gos well on Jan 16.

Awwwhh Kate - that's too bad. I sure wish you were going to the U Med Center sooner. Mostly I hope it doesn't happen again.

Sorry to hear the Kate. Scary to hear that it lasted so long.
Were you up at 3:30? Was it possibly brought on by lack of sleep? If so I hope that you make note of that so when you are on vacation, you can keep a regular sleep pattern.

Jan 16th is right around the corner.

Good luck on January 16th. Hopefully these Dr's will have some new insight into your seizures.

Hi guys. I tried to go back to sleep but I couldn't. So, I'm just very sore and wide awake and miserable. Blah. Trying to pass the time.

To answer your question, I was awake, but I had gone to bed earlier. I have a strict bedtime and I'm on a lot of sleep medicines. (Ambien 20 mg, Ambien CR 12.5 mg.) I took them at my normal time, and went to bed, but woke up in the middle of the night and just couldn't sleep. This isn't anything new, this happens a lot. The Ambien CR is supposed to keep me asleep.. but it doesn't.

Anyway, when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep, I always change locations. I have a recliner and a bed in my room. I asked my mom to come sleep in my bed and I went to lay down in my recliner. Mom said I was laying down maybe five minutes when the seizure started.

So, if it was lack of sleep, it's nothing I can control, I'm trying my best to get on a sleep schedule. I have the right medicines, I'm reading this book about sleeping from my doctor, I follow ALL the instructions, I even don't have caffeine anymore.. so, it's kind of odd why I'm still waking up so much. I also don't nap during the day, in order to get better sleep at night. *sigh*

Now my sleep schedule is all off completely again, because of the seizure. I didn't get home from the hospital until around 7:30 AM. Than I woke up at 7 PM.. so now I can't get back to sleep.. it's frustrating, I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to do tonight. I guess I'll take my medicine at the regular time and TRY to sleep, but I'm wide awake and so sore I don't see it happening.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Just know that when we ask questions we aren't saying that you are doing anything wrong. The seizure is what is wrong when it chose you to mess with.
I know you have been home a lot. Are you getting any kind of exercise during the day. So that your body will be tired and needing the rest?
Or...
You know that many creative people don't need that much sleep. I think I have read if you wake up do something really boring.

I was not sleeping very well prior to my doctor putting me on the magnesium and COQ10. Hoping you find something that works.

Sorry to hear about the seizure Kate. I hope you have more peaceful sleep throughout the holidays.

Oh I understand. = ) I know we're all here to help each other out.

No, I don't do much exercising during the day. I can't get around well because of my ankle. Hopefully around Feb. I'll be able to start being more active. I try to walk around the house with my walker as much as I can, etc. But it's hard for me.

I'm sorry I seem so down. My head is just completely killing me still, and I guess I should get offline, but I tried just reading a book, which hurt even worse (I can make fonts bigger on here and I have the lights adjusted), and that didn't work.

I'm kind of starting to get tired.. I normally take my sleepy medicine in about 55 minutes, so I'm going to take it then and try to go to bed. Only an hour of time left to kill.

Kate, no need to apologise for feeling down. Actually I felt pretty bad because I had numerous seizures today when I rarely have more than one. I just wanted to checck this board before going to sleep when I read about what happened to you this aft. It took me out of my self-pity pretty quick.

Thanks & good night

fe5b9848.gif

For having such a long seizure, your post-ictal phase seems very short. I don't see any typos, you are articulate.

I've had one grand mal and couldn't even READ for 3 months after it. Complex particals leave me post-ictal for 3 days and my communication skills are at their lowest then.

Hope you do better.

Sorry to hear about the sz Kate :(

I hope you get a good loooong sleep, and feel better when you come around.

It's just a thought, but I'm starting to wonder about these sleep-aids : whilst the medication is helping you to sleep, do you think it might be 'bringing down' your defence system for the E ?

It's just something I was wondering with the 5-HTP....I've come off it now, as to be honest it really didn't seem to do much for me at all, apart from make me feel a li'l more tired when I woke up in the morning.

I know you need the sleep-aids due to your previous mails, but was just wondering if they're not helping you on the E side off things. :huh:

Okay, so I am very new to seizures. And also, I'm 19, and live at home, so when anything goes on, the EMTs, my neurologist, the ER doctors, they ALL talk to my parents, not to me. I know I'm legally an adult - but I may as well be 10 when it comes to this. With the medicines I'm on - I'm tired, I'm forgetful, and I don't understand most of what they tell me anyway.

Birdbomb - I don't know what on earth you're talking about. I have never heard the words "post-ictal phase" and my doctors and the EMT has never acted like it wasn't normal that my eye sight isn't too bad after words.

Yes I research epilepsy, but I still don't even know what kind of seizures I really have. I have said before, my neurologist has done all she can, and is sending me to the IU Med center in January. THEN maybe I'll know and understand more.

The only things I know after I have a seizure - is what I am told by the people (normally my parents and EMTs) who saw it. And all I can do, is describe the way I feel after.

Also, I don't know about the sleep medicines. I'm waiting on a call back from my sleep doctor at the moment (I'm always waiting on calls from doctors or nurses - lol) because I've been doing weird things on Ambien again, but I won't get into that.

Kate, the post ictal phase is the phase after a seizure. I know I feel very confused & tired after mine & even have trouble talking if it 's a big seizure (some friends think that's a blessing hahaha)

If you have trouble remembering things try doing what I do & keep a pad of paper & pen on you at all times. I've found it to help a lot. Also there are many sites that might help you learn about your medications & their properties but I can't post links as I'm still a pretty new member.

Rebecca's post-ictal phase she has a headache, she is tired and sometimes needs sleep, she aches if it was a long TC, she has memory loss for sometimes hours prior to the event (not sure that is post-ictal or just a symptom of having the seizure). Most of the time she is iritable, but who wouldn't be.

I sense some frustration with the the "state of affairs". You will know more after your Jan. appt. Take it easy, and try to redirect your thoughts to pleasant topics - That would be my suggestion. Sometimes we can get pulled into the vortex.

Just passing it along...

129b7967.gif

Can I ask a favour?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Birdbomb. I tried posting links to some sites for Kate that would give her access to info re. her meds on the "had a seizure last night" thread but am too new a member to do so. Would you be comfortable posting these for me, you can check that they're OK. I"m not photosensitive but I don't think any of them would do any harm. I think the first 2 were posted here (or another E. board) previously. Thanks for your time

E.

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/drugs-index.aspx

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/hp.asp

http://www.webmd.com/

Kate:

Postictal or Post-ictal or Post-Seizure Stage
whatever terminology they use is after the
seizure stage - and it can range in length
depending on the severity of the hit of the
seizure(s).

Most of the time I sleep. But as I posted in
another thread; my son remarked that I can
be ornery, obnoxious, irritable, aggravated.
That's why they give me meds or put me to
sleep.

Many times after a seizure my whole brain
is out of sync, and according to all the
witnesses (from my own family, friends to
Medical Personnel - including my own Epi
or Neuro) - I make absolutely no sense,
my speech can be slurred to repeating myself.
But pretty much I'm out cold, sound asleep.

Here is an excerpt of an email that I typed
to a Neuro friend of mine I know dearly online
on that day of the EEG (just to give you
an idea just how hideous I can be under
post-itcal stage):

had egg done. eeg confused i am confused. say i need be hsopaital? amit? but neuro say home go? eeg all done. i confsued really. go bed sleep bed sleep now. not sure. eeg all done.

I had a CP and SP on that day and I was
told later that the Tech was trying to get
me admitted, but my Doctor wanted me to
go home. I didn't know the details until several
weeks later and more details later on.

Last edited:
eey kate

eey kate i am sorry to hear about what happend yesterday evening i am still so thankfull that i am ridd of epeleption ( i had it for 18 years) if ya want to ya can add me on msn to chat about it

thijmen_aka_twisted@hotmail.com

xXx i hope you had a good sleep xXx

Back
Top Bottom