harrassed/teased at work

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Shelley

Veteran
Reaction score
Is anybody harrassed/teased at work for no reason? Does anybody have hearing problems (lately with tinnitus)? Or is this much ado about nothing?
No, I haven't told anyone, cuz of all the teasing when I was a kid at school. (Private/parochial school, I was 'demon possessed') I also have fun with asthma.

My daughter is teased a lot. She too just accepts it. When I witness it I put a stop to it... in a nice way so as not to embarrass her.
As for the hearing problems, I don't believe she has that.
She as a child tended to get an unusual build up of wax.

Does anybody have hearing problems (lately with tinnitus)?

Magnesium - tinnitus connection?

Sorry to hear that you are being teased/harassed at work. It does seem to happen to a few folks (and not to others - depends on the people/company/culture).

I'd suggest documenting these things as best you can. It is a form of discrimination and there are legal protections for it if you take the right steps. You might try contacting the EFA legal department and ask for advice on handling it properly.

Tinnitus...

Shelley, the Mg definitely worked for me as of late. I was getting horrible pounding in my right ear that I noticed only occured when I was not taking my Mg supplement! Started it back up...IMMEDIATELY wnet awy and has not returned! I'm talking this was so bad I would have to pull the car over to the side of the road! I had run out of Mg at one point and due to bills and such refilling it had taken a back seat......NO MORE! It helps with my wifes migraines too!

As for trouble at work...uncool...(I could hop a bus and come over and open a nice big can of whup-.....)! On second thought, I actually like to just get those losers with a nice dose of 'back at ya'....it's usually pretty easy because they're all idiots!
:twocents:

Is anybody harrassed/teased at work for no reason? Does anybody have hearing problems (lately with tinnitus)? Or is this much ado about nothing?
No, I haven't told anyone, cuz of all the teasing when I was a kid at school. (Private/parochial school, I was 'demon possessed') I also have fun with asthma.

I was teased all the time as a child,
in school, and even as an adult, and
I've had to learn to let it go in one
ear and out the other.

But as for tinnitus - if you're on meds,
it could be a side effect; or it could be
various other things ~ you should consult
with your Doctor: Either your Primary or
your Neurologist / Epileptologist.

I haven't been teased or harrased at work but then again I work at a Dr.'s office so they wouldn't do that anyway. Surely as an adult everyone can be mature about the issue. Or atleast I would like to think so.

Anybody been told they are demon possessed?
I think my problem is that I am painfully shy. (boards are different than people), that I don't get in there face and tell them to shut up. When I do, my emotions get the better of me and its good for a laugh. I tried to talk at the work leader for the group, but she used every bit of it for a joke.
I have been teased since I was a kid. It sux cuz no matter how nice I am to people, or how quiet and stand-offish I am. I am a joke.
Whats really hard, is the guy you think likes you for you, is just making sure you are 'alright', and was being friendly for the punchline.
I'd start a new job, but I need the insurance and the strictly day shift.
Yeah, I increased my Mg.

Yes ...

I've been told that I'm demonic influenced,
demon possessed, demon oppressed, demon
(insert your imagination here) ... and it's all
purely and flatly out of their ignorance!

In addition I've been told that I've had a
psychiatric problem because of the seizures
that happened at the moment and postictal
stages. (But when I'm not having seizures I'm
fine)

I've been told when I experience auras, I'm
under the influence of "evil powers" or "under
the devil's territory" ....

I could ramble on and on ...

Basically it's 100% pure ignorance on their
end. You are NOT alone, there are many others
who have heard the same lines, same stories,
same scenarios, and so on.

----------------------------------

Then there are MORE ... people who believes
in old wives fables and old myths that people
with epilepsy should have blood drained from
them, should be locked up, and the list goes
on and on and on.

---------------------------------

Sadly, but there are thousands and thousands
of people WHO STILL BELIEVES THIS STUFF
TODAY!

There are people who believes that:

1) It's contagious!
2) It's transferable by touching the person!
3) Throwing salt at them will ward off the
Epileptic Demon(s)!
4) Holding up a Silver Cross will protect them!

And I could ramble on and on and on on that
too.

-----------------------------

'Twas all a shame ......

There are Medical Doctors, Judges, Pastoral &
Rabbis & Clergy, Teachers, Janitors, Lawyers,
Managers, Business Owners, Housewives, and
all sorts ... who have Epilepsy and don't even
realize it!

(*GASP* :eek: You mean my long time Physician
who I had been seeing for years had it?)

The world is FULL of surprises. While some types
of Epilepsy may be more revealing than other
types - It becomes a shocker when it becomes
exposed that someone; especially when they're
in the higher class and position whether local
or influential - comes OUT OF THE SHADOWS,
and confesses - They have Epilepsy.

The people just do not know what to say, some
people automatically (due to holding the myths
and fables) demands that so and so to be removed
without much ado because of misconceptions.

It's a HIGH TIME that the WORLD be exposed to
reality of what EPILEPSY IS and WHAT IT IS NOT!

:soap:

(getting off the soapbox)

The reason some folks relate demon poss. to E is that in the bible Jesus cast out demons that had the same caristics as E, and as far as that goes Im not gonna bash anything in the bible like foolish people do. that book is not wife tales or myths! but as far as you being poss. I dought it. my cousin was truly poss. and he did hear voices and did carry out a brutal double murder that involved taking all the skin off his victoms and removing their hearts! of course he is doing life in the cage now, he comitted other horrable things that he never got caught doing, so unless your having real demon activity. I would'nt even confess to any of it! the Spirit world is real and not to be toy'd with! we as Native people have our way of understanding this other side,as each culture does, but to say it does not exist is fool talk, and to confess to being poss. is more so! never speak like this, you would be suprised to know that it is not myths or hollywood that are behind true demon activity! look your teaser's straight into their eyes! (as the eyes are the windows to the human soul) and tell them you have no room in your life for their childish ways! go about your bussiness, many in my family went the violent path instead and now are in cages! as for me I live in the woods with no humans around at all! this is good. Crowinthewind.

I know this sounds kind of strange, but I ask people to make fun of me. well....certain people. If I know you, it actually makes me feel a lot better about it when I joke about it. When a new teacher asks what to do if I have a seizure, I alway tell them "whatever you want...you can throw things at me, laugh, ignore it, make fun of me....whatever..." Usually they just laugh and say ok....what do you really want me to do..."I just told you!" and then I say "as long as I dont fall down and flop around like a fish for more than 5 minutes do whatever you want..."
But when people I dont know make fun of me especially for having strange side effects...that really does make me made...eh...but what can you do?

I know this sounds kind of strange, but I ask people to make fun of me. well....certain people. If I know you, it actually makes me feel a lot better about it when I joke about it. When a new teacher asks what to do if I have a seizure, I alway tell them "whatever you want...you can throw things at me, laugh, ignore it, make fun of me....whatever..." Usually they just laugh and say ok....what do you really want me to do..."I just told you!" and then I say "as long as I dont fall down and flop around like a fish for more than 5 minutes do whatever you want..."
But when people I dont know make fun of me especially for having strange side effects...that really does make me made...eh...but what can you do?

This isn't as 'strange' as some people may think. If your 'friends' and people you know, do have a laugh about it, then you see it as being more acceptable, and don't fret so much about having a seizure and bieng an 'outcast'. I used to tell my teacher's and friends that if I have one - do nothing, as I'll get over it in a few seconds, and don't worry or panic.....just make sure you tell me what happened when I come around as I'm always interested.

I don't really remember anybody ever taking the P out of me for my seizures. I'm sure there must be some dumbass li'l kids when I was growing up, but I presume I just put them to the bottom of my minds pit - where they belong !!

These people just aren't worth wasting your energy on - worrying about it will only give you another sz anyway.

As for all this stuff about us being demonic or possessed, I kinda find it amusing as it's just soooo absurd. Tell the morons that if they don't push off (to put it polite on here) you'll cast a spell !!!....Mwwwaaahahahahaha

... Usually they just laugh and say ok....what do you really want me to do...

Make sure you aren't banging your head into anything hard. When you stop convulsing:

8befe44e.jpg

Strange you should ask about tinnitus. I have tinnitus quite badly and it runs in the family. My mother and grandmother are partially deaf and my mother, sister and myself all have tinnitus.

As for work, nobody has generally taunted me about epilepsy. If they did I'd just report them to Human Resources requesting disciplinary action, then raise the issue with the Disability Rights Commission.

Discrimination is still rife in industry though. Many people will not employ a disabled person if they have any alternative, the sole exception being the civil service who run positive discrimination to the point where it discriminates against anyone who is male, white, english or christian. I used to work for the civil service and have many friends there, so I know how they work.

Anybody been told they are demon possessed?
I think my problem is that I am painfully shy. (boards are different than people), that I don't get in there face and tell them to shut up. When I do, my emotions get the better of me and its good for a laugh. I tried to talk at the work leader for the group, but she used every bit of it for a joke.
I have been teased since I was a kid. It sux cuz no matter how nice I am to people, or how quiet and stand-offish I am. I am a joke.
Whats really hard, is the guy you think likes you for you, is just making sure you are 'alright', and was being friendly for the punchline.
I'd start a new job, but I need the insurance and the strictly day shift.
Yeah, I increased my Mg.
Shelley,

Some people are mean just to be mean. Love yourself and forget the others who bring you down. I know it is easy for me to say but I always live by the rule if I can go to bed happy with myself and the choices I have made for that day then things are good.

I am sure you are a wonderful person, so in short, keep being that wonderful person.

Ron

reread

I've had to reread all the posts again, cuz they are really stepping up the belittlement. I was out sick a couple of times this month (heart stuff), and when I came back, I found some of my decorations had been trashed. Nobody knows how this happened, and they think its funny cuz now they get to humor me. I also watched as someone walked out the door with some of my wrapping paper.
I'm trying not to cry in front of them, but its all because I don't fall down and worship a bratty pk (get real). I've tried to increase my folate, watch my mg intake, and just keep to myself. All to no avail.
This sux.:giveup:

Last edited:
I am so sorry that you have to deal with these kinds of people while at work of all places. :( Remember to keep your head held high, and try not to let those bullies (that's all they are, overgrown bullies) bring you spirit down. I know its easier said than done, but that's what they are trying to do...break your spirit...and you cannot let them. Come here where people understand and vent. Don't give up...I'll be thinking of you...Happy Holidays Shelley.

Shelley that sounds awful. Is there no HR office? This is harassment and isn't allowed. If you were of color or a different religion, they would be hung for this.

I agree you have to be bigger than they are. Funny how it will eventually come back around to bite them.

Rebecca is getting a bit of this at school. From being called Psycho, to having the rumours spread that her seizures are fake. Hard to cope, but some people are just jerks and always will be.

Send a letter of complaint to HR to document this. The company is responsible for setting the corporate culture. It's good to have a record (paper trail).

I have not told anybody about my seizures, cuz they are absence seizures. I have been demeaned because of the seizures to the point where I don't tell anybody.
It is religious harrassment cuz the pk thinks she has to boss everybody, and she realizes that I know some of her 'personal' stories are a fake.
Also, I don't do church or religion, cuz of the harrassment there.

I have not told anybody about my seizures, cuz they are absence seizures. I have been demeaned because of the seizures to the point where I don't tell anybody.
It is religious harrassment cuz the pk thinks she has to boss everybody, and she realizes that I know some of her 'personal' stories are a fake.
Also, I don't do church or religion, cuz of the harrassment there.

There are times when people needs to be
wearing:

:paperbag:

Because of Ignorance!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom