Has anyone ever taken more than 1200 mg of Tegretol a day?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My Dr. recently raised my dose for Tegretol XR from 1200 mg/day to 1400 mg/day. I heard somewhere that the highest dose recommended for Tegretol is 1200 mg/day. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, is anyone familiar with how long it takes for an increased dose of Tegretol to take effect?

Here is the PDF file on Tegretol

Tegretol

Whenever I am prescribed something new, I will look for the pharmaceutical PDF on that particular drug read it. If I am familar with it than I can know what to expect.

If you are concerned about the amount, you should discuss this with your doctor.

Epilepsy (see INDICATIONS AND USAGE)
Adults and children over 12 years of age - Initial: Either 200 mg b.i.d. for tablets and XR
tablets, or 1 teaspoon q.i.d. for suspension (400 mg/day). Increase at weekly intervals by
adding up to 200 mg/day using a b.i.d. regimen of Tegretol-XR or a t.i.d. or q.i.d. regimen of
the other formulations until the optimal response is obtained. Dosage generally should not
exceed 1000 mg daily in children 12-15 years of age, and 1200 mg daily in patients above
15 years of age. Doses up to 1600 mg daily have been used in adults in rare instances.
Maintenance: Adjust dosage to the minimum effective level, usually 800-1200 mg daily.

I"m on 1600 mg/day

It is above the suggested limit but I'd been taking it for many years when it was upped to that does. I seem to be dealing well with it but my GP tried to lower it & that only resulted in a massive CT sz in the middle of the grocery store.

One neurologist told me that the maximums are general guidelines & it's not a good idea to start out on the max but everyone is different & might be able to handle more or not as much.

Basically I'm more concerned that this dosage control my E. I'd be upset if another doctor tried to lower it & I had to convulse again.

I was on 1600 mg per day and it was combined first with dilantin and then with frisium. When I switched to frisium I asked my doctor why we were maintaining such a high dose of tegretol if it wasn't working by itself. The doctor agreed to drop the dose in half and there was no problem..... Sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask.

Yes I went toxic at 1200MG Tegretol but a long long time ago I was at 1400MGTegretol I don't remember how many years ago that was.

If that above max dose why don't doc try something else.I took tegratol about 25 years ago made me feel awful my doc said it don't have side effects,I beg to differ with doc.
Docs make some stupid mistakes at time many many times.
I hold me ground with GP ask him to google it while I sit there it don't always go down well with Doc.I would thought most GP be reticence about doing that without authorisation from nuro even in States

Back
Top Bottom