Has Anyone Felt "Protected" by Someone or Something During a Seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JulesD

New
Reaction score
I know this is a strange post, but I wonder if I'm alone. Has anyone ever felt like they were being protected by something unexplainable during a seizure to prevent them from serious harm?

Once I had a seizure in the bathtub before I realized the severity of my epilepsy. I was fully submerged under water. I awoke to a tapping on my shoulder- it was very distinct. However, there was no one there. (I have brief clonic tonic seizures). I know it's weird, but I feel like there was "someone" there looking over me. I have felt that way a couple of other times.

I'm going out on a limb here. Anyone?

I'm really sorry you had to experence one under water, thats really dangerous. I don't know, do you keep experiencing this?

I really wish I did have something/someone to protect me from serious harm during a CT seizure. I had my 1st TC seizure while on my way out of the tub. As I passed out, I fell and hit just the hot water faucet handle and lay under the faucet long enough to sustain 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my right arm, breast, and back. I was in the hospital for 2 months and underwent numerous tests, several debridement surgeries and skin grafts. And then months of wearing a pressure garment and physical therapy.
I was home on Easter weekend and my parent's happened to find me. Of course, they were in shock because I'd never had a seizure in my life until that day!

And there have been several other times when I've had TC's and ended up in the ER with black eyes, bruises, broken glasses, and another burn on my hand while cooking.

So NO, I've never felt protected or felt anyone was looking over me during a seizure. :evil2:
Tonic/clonic's are serious business and can be deadly, especially in places like bathrooms and kitchens.

Cint- That's horrible and I am so sorry! Do you get any warning at all since then? Getting out of the tub is a super dangerous time (I've learned).

I've had one in the shower where I split my head open and had to get stitches. It seems like most of my seizures have occurred in the shower/tub. I wonder if it has to do with the temperature change. I can't believe I haven't drowned because it happened several times in the tub before I was diagnosed. I thought the water was too hot and I was fainting with crazy hallucinations.

I usually get a good aura that gives me time to get down before I bump my head though. I have to see a chiropractor regularly for readjustments after knocking myself around when I don't make it in time.

Damage aside, seizures are super weird for me because I see people I "know" but I've never seen before and deja vu is freaky.

To Jules, I've also noticed deja vu feelings will be very strong for me before and after seizures. I tell my non-epileptic friends about it ad they laugh and say I'm nuts lol. I posted on another thread the weird feeling I get after a seizure, its like right after, my environment seems 2d. Like my current reality is missing depth

YES, I really love my girlfriend and she is well versed in seizures so she is not afraid of what it looks like/is and just wants to help. So if I was going to experiment with a new med of some such I want her to be there. I feel like i will want to stay real close to her for a few days when I start trying small amounts of pot with my meds. In 3 days I will fly out to Wisconsin to pack her up and we drive back together as she is moving here to Washington State. AHH.
Oh yes, Dazed and confused today. Anyone take naps in the days following seizures?

Oh yes sleeping it off is all I want to do. It's awesome you have someone supportive. My boyfriend is super sweet and understanding as well. I'm very grateful. Good luck with the pot therapy :) I've heard it helps many things

Deja vu, jammais vu, loss of depth perception, shift of pov, out of body experiences are all quite common.

I have to admit though, I've read less people talk about being watched over in that way, but it doesn't really break the bounds of imagination when you think about all the other odd experiences described.

Would certainly be nice I think, though I like the sound of the waves of euphoria some people describe better :)

Has anyone ever felt like they were being protected by something unexplainable during a seizure to prevent them from serious harm?

There have been times when I would be having CPS and wander off. Most often when I was still in high school I would get an aura before my CPS. This was a nausea feeling. I'd ask to go to the bathroom. As I left the room my CPS kicked in. I'd partially loose consciousness, temporarily blinded, but I would still make it to the bathroom (sometimes).

This is where the "unexplainable" happens. Sure going out one room and going down the hall is nothing special. How about being the the third floor, going down three flights of stairs and back. Anytime I was wandering up/down the stairs I always had a tight grip the the railings. The reason I put "sometimes" is because my CPS lasted five minutes or less. Most often my CPS past before I was even close to a bathroom. So I would return to my classes. Many times the school nurse would chase me down to bring me to her office. That's how my time in (7th-12th) Jr/Sr High School was, a battle of wills with the school nurse. Can you imagine a student blindless wandering the halls (basement, first floor, second floor, third floor) of the school during a CPS? I never had any sort of injury while I had and CPS.

Once I had something similar happen in my old home. I would do the usual go to the bathroom when my auras struck. But one time I didn't go to the bathroom. Instead I went out my front door. But as I went out I grabbed onto the doorknob. I held onto it tight, until my CPS passed. If I didn't I would've fell down the front stairs.

Before school I fainted because of the heat in a local store. Which I believe may have set something off in my head. Because my CPS really kicked into high gear when I started Jr/Sr. afterwards. But I also lost a family member during that time before I started Jr/Sr.
Even though I didn't get to know this person, I believe they protected me during my battle
of CPS while I was in Jr/Sr.

If not them then myself, or perhaps both.

Mmm...no. Always felt very scared, vulnerable and alone during my seizures. But once it's over, I'm usually lucky enough to have a caring person around me to make me fell safe :)

In a way, i like to think someone up there is looking out. A lot of my seizures could of been a lot worse than they actually were, so looking back at them, i would say yes, someone is looking out, not really tapping my on my shoulder, but making my seizures not as bad as it could've of been.

:piano: :pop:

Last TC was really odd, had the seizure outside work, now parked cars were in the street behind me, so I wouldn't have been very easy to see from the road, traffic flows quite quickly in front of a walled floral traffic island. The seizure I had was quite severe for me, however a woman that I used to work with 4 years ago saw me on the floor as she was driving past. Really felt like a invisible hand was giving a bit of a shove.

There are many things you may experience before/after a seizure. Feeling things, hearing things, seeing things. Really all forms of hallucinations.

On the other hand, I am a very spiritual person. I believe there are spirits watching over me.

I also see that this is a zombie thread. :)

N Sperlo;279421 I also see that this is a zombie thread. :)[/QUOTE said:
Well there was this one time, after a seizure, I tried to eat everyone's brains, but I wasn't reasonable I didn't try to eat their eyes.

Q

Hahaha! What I meant was that it was resurrected from 2011. That reminds me , my wife and I need to make a trip to get some brain sandwiches. Last time we went they were sold out.

Back
Top Bottom