Has anyone here had Jacksonian seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
My nurse today said that from the sounds of my tingling and numbness feelings Ive been experiencing Jacksonian Seizures.

Looking these up, I found they are:

http://www.depression-guide.com/epilepsy-seizure/jacksonian-seizure.htm

Jacksonian seizure also known as Jacksonian march is a specific form of epilepsy. This form of brain disorder involves a movement or progression of the seizure location in the brain, which further results in marching of motor representation of seizure symptoms. This disorder involves brief changes in movements, sensation or nervous function which is caused by abnormal electrical activity in a small area of the brain.

Jacksonian seizures are started with abnormal electrical activity within the primary motor cortex. They have a unique characteristic which makes them travel through the primary motor cortex in quick progression affecting all the corresponding muscles. They many a times begin with fingers.

Symptoms of Jacksonian Seizure

Symptoms start in one part of the body, then spread to another.
Abnormal movements may occur in the hand or foot
They move up the limb as activity moves ahead in the brain.
People can remember all the things which are occurring during the attach of seizure.
Head turning
Eye movements
Lip smacking
Mouth movements
Drooling
Rhythmic muscle contractions in a part of the body
Abnormal numbness
Tingling

Crawling sensation over the skin

I have all the symptoms that are in BOLD, along with the Motor Running Feeling through out my whole body.

I just wondered if anyone here has experienced these too?

Last edited:
Jacksonian seizures are basically a sub-type of partial (focal) seizures. Sounds like it's a close match for you. If so, you might want to consider acupuncture treatment -- some studies have shown it can make a statistically significant improvement in treating Jacksonian seizures. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17078441

And this study found that the subject could stop her Jacksonian seizured by "grasping her fingers firmly with her right hand." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2128781

Yes! (Apparently I live up to my name, 'Action Jackson'). All my seizures start out as tingling in my fingertips and spread to my arm and the right side of my body. It progresses to jerking of that same side and ticking in my face and eyes. All of my seizures start partial, but some generalize (about the time it hits my shoulder- lights out).

My seizures originate from a focus on the border of the frontal and parietal lobes.

Yes! (Apparently I live up to my name, 'Action Jackson'). All my seizures start out as tingling in my fingertips and spread to my arm and the right side of my body. It progresses to jerking of that same side and ticking in my face and eyes. All of my seizures start partial, but some generalize (about the time it hits my shoulder- lights out).

My seizures originate from a focus on the border of the frontal and parietal lobes.

My seizures are in my left temporal lobe. What Im finding out more with doing research about Jacksonian seizures, is that everything they are saying, how they start in the hands or feet and spread through out the body, and can lead to jerking of one side or both sides of the body, thats exacly what took place with the seizures that I had when I did the VEEG. I didnt lose consiousness. As the tingling began in my fingers and hands, and then went to my feet, I had that "OFF" feeling like something was going to happen.... which then had my right part of my body start jerking, and soon after my whole face, (especially in the eyes, nose and mouth area) went Completely Numb! To the point where I tried to put my tounge on the roof of my mouth, and I couldnt feel my tounge! Once the jerking stopped, the numbness started to go away. I would be back to myself within a few minutes.

My dr said they were registering on the VEEG, but said they came up as Non Epileptic seizures. :ponder:

I get numbness and tingling in my 'outer' left fingers (pinky and ring fever usually) and my feet, usually left foot only. Hmmm?

Symptoms of Jacksonian Seizure

Symptoms start in one part of the body, then spread to another.
Abnormal movements may occur in the hand or foot
They move up the limb as activity moves ahead in the brain.
People can remember all the things which are occurring during the attach of seizure.
Head turning
Eye movements
Lip smacking
Mouth movements
Drooling
Rhythmic muscle contractions in a part of the body
Abnormal numbness
Tingling
Crawling sensation over the skin

I just wondered if anyone here has experienced these too?

When I read these symptoms, something clicked in my mind--that may be what I have! Because what I have LOOKS like a SP but it ACTS like a CP. For example, I have impaired consciousness, like a CP, but my symptoms--what I do--look like a SP. Thanks for posting this!

I just found out today

Today at the Drs I was provided with a name for the newest seizure I have been having Jacksonian March.... These are VERY different..

Today at the Drs I was provided with a name for the newest seizure I have been having Jacksonian March.... These are VERY different..

I wish I was seeing my dr before the end of May! I printed out alot of information about these seizures and from what Ive experienced during my VEEG, Im convinsed these are the seizures that ive had. Since then, Ive been put on Vimpat, been on that for alittle over two weeks now... but Im still experiencing times of when my foot or hand, even a larger part of my body that will go numb. It goes right into a full numbing feeling. It will last for a few minutes and then quit. The seizures I had during my VEEG were the first Ive ever had where I was consious through out them.

One of my questions I have for my dr is.... Could Jacksonian seizures be hard to pick up on a VEEG? My VEEG said I had the spikes indicating I have epilepsy, but it wasnt picking up the seizures that were occuring. Could it be that these seizures are too deep in my brain to be picked up?

I have the tingling also in my hands/arms and feet/legs... I have had seizures for 23 years and they have never been this intense or so life interrupting... I am doing a lot of research that I have never done before... AND learning alot... I see MOMof3boys that you are on Vimpat be careful I found out the hard way that one of the rare side effects of that med IS seizures... Funny but true...

I have the tingling also in my hands/arms and feet/legs... I have had seizures for 23 years and they have never been this intense or so life interrupting... I am doing a lot of research that I have never done before... AND learning alot... I see MOMof3boys that you are on Vimpat be careful I found out the hard way that one of the rare side effects of that med IS seizures... Funny but true...

thanks for giving me the heads up! :)

Today Ive been on the Vimpat now for 17 days. Ive been on the 100mg tablets twice a day for 10 days now. Somethings Ive seen that are different are my mood changes... I can get really upset and have been having alot of crying spells lately. My husband noticed it over the past 5 days or so. I feel at times like I just want to give up on things. I feel alittle more tired, especially in the mornings since I cant get to sleep til around after 1am everynight. The numbness and tingling feelings are still here... maybe alittle less than before, but they havnt gone away completely. I have noticed that if I dont take my medications exacly 12 hours apart.... like if I happen to go just an hour over taking them.... 13 hours apart, I feel strange.... like the funny feeling I get before a seizure is about to come.

Hi,
New to the forum here. My daughter has seizures that are typical of the "jacksonian March" for several years. I am SOOO sick of EMS and ER neurologist residents, and nurses who do not understand and want to call it "pseudoseizures" The events are less intense when she has had a benzo. and did not show up on all her EEG's. We had to kiss a lot of toads to find a good neurologist. She lost a WHOLE year of her life on bad medication that just made her situation worse.
However, I am grateful also to God for finding the right neurologist.
Hang in there.
Melody

Im so sorry to hear about the hard times your daughter has had dealing with her seizures and finding a good doctor. So far, things have been going good for me. After doing alot of tests, my neurologist finally realized I was having simple partial seizures, and left me on the Keppra to treat them. Ive been doing good since. I just have to make sure I dont get too stressed out, or over tired, that will more than likely bring on seizures more easily for me.

I used to wake up and have something pretty much exactly like that happen. I didn't think it was seizure-related until after a few months on keppra it pretty much stopped. It still happens when I get bad sleep-deprivation, but it's not an everyday thing anymore.

Back
Top Bottom