Have you been able to Stop a Seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I ask this because I was thinking about over the past months after getting done with my VEEG, Ive had times where I can feel a seizure is about to come on, I get a weird feeling, just a feeling like something is not right.... then a feeling of sad or fear over comes me.... its about that time that I start to get the tingling feeling in my left part of my body... and it goes from there. On thanksgiving, I was at my parents, and was sitting on the love seat with the kids around me. We were just watching tv and chatting... and before I knew it, I had that feeling again. At first, I thought it wasnt a seizure, but then I had the feeling of fear and the pit of my stomach felt weird... It was then I felt my head wanting to turn to the right. But instead of just going with it, I focused on a picture on the wall. I had my head turned towards the kitchen area and so instead of turning my head another direction, I just focused on what was in front of me and started to slowly breath and focus on the picture. within a minute I could feel my body returning back to normal again. I had that feeling that was overcoming in the beginning of the seizure, along with my heart feeling like it was speeding up. Ive found that If I can focus on something, and If the circumstances are right, i can try my best to control the seizure from becoming worse.

Just wondered if anyone has has been able to do the same?

Yeah, I think so. It seems that if I am able to hold my focus on some single thing, it can prevent a seizure from happening at that exact moment. For me, this is rare but it does happen this way occasionally. In any case, I never feel like I really prevented the seizure - just forestalled it a bit.

Hi momof3:) I read about a preassure point between the nose and the mouth and decided to try it out. I can't remember what the point is called, anyhow I was driving my car.... and not a good time to have a seizure (by the way when I am diagnosed I assume my licence is gone too) - so I pressed the point between the upper lip and the nose and concentrated on breathing slowly through my nose. It worked! I actually had no seizure driving whereas usually driving triggers seizures in me. I don't know if it was just a one-time-thingy but I would sure try it again when I feel a seizure coming on. Hugs, Malla

Thats good to hear that you both can prevent a seizure from coming on. I was just wondering if it has worked for anyone else. I didnt know I could do that, til this year. Id rather try to prevent a seizure from coming on, than having one though!

I assume I am able to stop simple partial seizures from expanding/continuing into complex ones. I would love to see what part of my brain is active initially while I do this; the seizure focus itself, the area around it, ...?

Sometimes a thought may start to feel seizure-like and I try to focus on something completely different. If thinking of trees or looking at houses starts to feel weird I have to stop. It doesn't usually end well if I focus on the weird feeling thought although I assume that I attain a state of consciousness legally that people who take illegal drugs try to get to. The only drugs I've ever tried are prescriptions. I guess I'm gifted. Who knows.

When I feel music trigger an unsafe/very familiar feeling feels like a seizure I stop the music and/or start another completely different type of music. This usually stops the seizure. I assume I am using the area my brain involved with seizing in a new safe activity.

I've tried it several times while experiencing the 'aura', which is actually a simple partial seizure. I quickly sit and try to focus on an object until "the feeling" passes. It worked a few times years ago, but when my seizures increased in intensity, it didn't work for me.

There is also a book that talks about it: "Epilepsy: A New Approach".

It also talks about diet, nutrition & biofeedback.

Back
Top Bottom