Hearing music?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jessmm

New
Reaction score
After a particularly strong episode of deja vu / nausea / disorientation I've started to wonder if maybe I'm having simple seizures on occasion. You guys recommended I see a doctor about it, and I will, but it's made me question a few other odd things that happen sometimes and I wanted to run it by you. Find out if it's something I should mention to the doctor.

The deja vu and other things only seem to happen in my sleep. Several years ago I had a couple episodes of waking deja vu but those were the only times. Ever since it's only happened in my sleep, although it does wake me up and persist for a short while (less than a minute probably, though I'm not really keeping track of time). It always happens within an hour or so of falling asleep.

Sometimes also my right arm will jerk. Not just twitch, but full-on fling itself. Usually that wakes me up I think, but I know there are times that it doesn't. My husband has complained of me punching him in my sleep.

But the main thing I wanted to ask about: can simple seizures make you hear music? Sometimes I'll go from what feels like deep sleep to *SNAP* wide awake. And when I snap awake I'm hearing music, or sometimes a loud roaring (like a sea shell when you hold it to your ear, but much louder). It literally sounds like the music is coming from outside my head (like wearing headphones), and when I wake up I recognize that I was hearing it while I was asleep too. Then it fades out a couple of seconds after waking. A particularly strong dream that took me a few moments to come out of, or something else?

Since all of this really happens when I'm sleeping I've been writing it off as bad dreams, or too much coffee, or hormonal imbalances.

jessmm

Everything you have described should be told to your doctor, you should try keeping track of time if at all possible. Do not write off anything as a bad dream always keep a record of anything you feel is out of place, hormones can play a big part in things as well.

Hi Jess

My seizures happen when I'm asleep or just as I'm waking and I have often heard things that I later figured out nobody else could hear. Mine are usually things ringing like telephones or alarm clock bells.

Definitely tell the doc about this. The more info you give them the better chance they have of figuring out how to help you.

Oh! Ok how about random vertigo/dizziness? Earlier today I was just sitting there, being nice and quiet, and I got very suddenly dizzy. It felt like being on a boat, and I had an odd cold tingly sensation running up my neck and over my scalp. My heart started racing too. Come to think of it, that happens an on a semi-regular basis. Something else to mention.

Oh! Ok how about random vertigo/dizziness? Earlier today I was just sitting there, being nice and quiet, and I got very suddenly dizzy. It felt like being on a boat, and I had an odd cold tingly sensation running up my neck and over my scalp. My heart started racing too. Come to think of it, that happens an on a semi-regular basis. Something else to mention.
Absolutely. There are some inner ear disorders that can sometimes be mistaken for epilepsy.
The racing heart could be any number of things. You might want to have them do the full "work up" including your blood sugar HBA1c numbers, electrolyte levels (for example low magnesium can cause seizures), nutrient levels (things like a severe B12 deficiency can cause seizures). Of course they will test your BP and have a listen to your heart.

Write down all the things you want to ask/tell the doc before you go in or else it is too easy to let a few slip and remember them on the way home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom