Heat Seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bee91

New
Reaction score
This summer I had three heat strokes and with that, I had seizures. Now, I am seizure free, except when I get really hot. I don't sweat at all ever since the heat strokes so it's easier to get hot, even in the winter.

Are seizures usually linked to heat? Is the lack of sweating a long term effect of the heat strokes?

I am trying to think about where I read about a lack of sweating Brandi. You might do a Google search about it. It is something that I am interested in since as much as Rebecca has skated in her life, it is only recently that she is starting to perspire when she works out. I will let you know if I hear of anything.

Every summer my seizures increase because of the heat&humidity.
A lot of seizures are link to heat.

Belinda:twocents:

Are seizures usually linked to heat? Is the lack of sweating a long term effect of the heat strokes?

Yes many times excessive heat will trigger seizures.

In my case the heat stoke acted like a seizure "on" switch. Between 4-12yos I had "mild" seizure activity. I'd have one of my "spells" about once a week. When I was about 12/13yos that all changed. I was at a local department store with my family. As I was waiting in the front for my family to pay for their items, it happened. I started to feel sick and light-headed. Soon after I past out hitting a display rack on my way down. The doctors said I had a heat stoke. When I reached junior high my once a week "spells", became regular. I'd have one about once a day, if not more. They have been that way ever since, changing slightly over the years.

As for the lack of sweating, I don't know. But it is a possibility.

Can't remember what medication you are on Brandi but I just found this:

PURPOSE: Topiramate (TPM) is an antiepileptic agent, first licensed in the United Kingdom in 1994, that is used in the treatment of patients with refractory seizure disorders. TPM is a monosaccharide d-fructose derivate, with sulfamate function, and so far, few adverse side effects have been reported. methods: We describe three patients with epilepsy who were treated with TPM and developed hypohidrosis, heat and exercise intolerance, as well as fever. The sudomotor function was assessed after peripheral stimulation with pilocarpine iontophoresis. RESULTS: Sweat response was reduced in all three patients. signs and symptoms ceased after drug suppression. CONCLUSIONS: This side effect associated with TPM, which has not been described previously, can be clinically significant during heat stress and exercise challenge.
http://www.lookfordiagnosis.com/cases.php?term=Hypohidrosis&filter=heat&values=0.057195&lang=1

thank you. I've heard of anhydrosis. I don't think it was the Topamax, because I have been on it for quite some time and it didn't affect me until after the summer... :s

http://www.mamashealth.com/skin/anhidrosis.asp
Some common causes of anhidrosis are:

neurologic disorders such as Guillain-Barre syndrome
heatstroke
diabetes
congenital disorders including as ectodermal dysplasia
drugs and medications
hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia
autonomic neuropathy
infections of sweat glands
trauma to sweat glands
burns
excessive dehydration
Complications of Anhidrosis

I think this answers my question...

In some cases, extreme temperature changes(excessive heat or cold) can be triggers for some people. IMHO, it's just a matter of getting to know what your triggers are and being able to identify them.

Peaceful Hugs,
Rose

Back
Top Bottom