Hi Everyone

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sandie

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have managed to steal a few moments away to ask you a couple of questions and fill you in on what is going on with me. Well firstly my daughter is recovering well from her op. to have her kidney removed but it is somewhat hectic at my house now as I am looking after her and my three young grandchildren while she makes her recovery.
I have a couple of questions for you. Does anyone take 1000mg of Tegretol cr.? I have just raised the dose to 1000mg and was wondering how you have meted out the dose. I was told by my doctor to take 400mg in the morning, 400mg lunchtime and 200mg in the evening. I think a better way would be to swap the evening and the lunchtime dose around to balance it better.
Yesterday, I was feeling a little off colour and thought it was to do with the new dose of Tegretol. Last night after having a vivid dream, I woke up uncontrollably shaking and it took some time to settle down. Today my legs have been extremely sore and I was wondering if this could be related to some sort of nocturnal seizure. I haven't experienced anything like it before so I would be interested in your opinions.

Hi Sandie
I've been on Tegretol XR what it's called here. I've been on 800mg for ever. When I first started having seizure again the epileptolgist upped my dose to 1200 mg. I did not notice any of the side effects you talk about except for the vivid dreams. I do agree with the lunch time and evening swap especially since your seizure are nocturnal correct? I've also taken my tegretol twice a day morning and night. I'm alittle stumped when they have spread it out to three times a day. Just my 2 cents! Take care with every thing going on with your life right now!

Sandie
I was on tegretol xr for 14 years. I had good control of my seizures with it along with gabapentin. If you are on the tegretol xr I am not sure why it would be a dose given 3 times a day. My gabapentin was not a time released medicine but the reason that one was something I took 3 times a day was because I got too tired to function taking it all at once. I didn't have a lot of side effects with the medicine, aside from the usual weight gain at that time. And between the two meds I never had problems with sleeping through the night. But any nocturnal seizures I had were in my teen years before tegretol xr. I would ask your doctor about the timing of your meds my higher dose was in the morning and a lower dose at night but you may want to see if you could have the reverse to help through the night if that is when you notice the only problems. I hope everything works out for you soon. With dilantin I had tremors in the morning for a while but I don't know how much your shaking is occurring for you. Mine with dilantin would last about 2 hours of tremors that were stronger and it would lessen more throughout the day. Keep us posted. :hugs:

Actually, Peta, my seizures are usually daytime which is why I find these new occurrences a little alarming. I don't know why they have spread the Tegretol out to three times a day either but if I took it twice a day I would have to take one dose of 600mg and one dose of 400mg. My doctor probably thought 600mg was too much at one go for me.

When I was originally upped to 1200mg I was taking 600 a day. You since I've been on it so long I just don't notice the side effects any more.

Back
Top Bottom