High Blood pressure anyone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ddr1166

New
Reaction score
Hello - husband and I went to the doc yesterday, and his blood pressure was 160/100. high!

Has anyone noticed these meds causing high blood pressure? He's on Keppra XR. Now, he's on high blood pressure medicine.

Other than DRASTICALLY reducing his salt intake (he loves it...), any other ideas?

Thanks, Deb in Dallas:ponder:

Hi Deb --

The same thing happened to me when I went on Lamictal. I've always had low to normal blood pressure (as recorded at my neuro visits), but as soon as I went on Lamictal it shot up. High blood pressures isn't listed as a side effect of Lamictal, so my neuro doesn't think that there is a connection. I'm not so sure.

I have reduced my salt intake a bit. I've also tried to increase my potassium intake (alo important for tackling high blood pressure) by eating potassium-rich foods like bananas. I'm due to see my primary care doctor next week, and my neuro in September, so I'll see then if the BP has a gone down a bit.

Yes, it happened to me when I started Lamictal again. The result is 50mg/day of Cozaar to bring it down.

:(

I wonder if it has to do with the way AEDs interfere with Vitamin D absorption. Low Vitamin D has been linked to High Blood Pressure.

That makes sense. My D got down to a low of 20, now up to 32 with supplements of 5000 units/day. Low but acceptable. Acceptable limits are above 30.

I've been taking 1000IU of Vitmain D a day (and getting lots of sun), but I'm going to ask my pcp to test my Vitamin D levels next week. If they're low, and my blood pressure is still high, then it might make sense to up my dose of D.

I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra a day and 10 mgs. a day of Lisonopril for BP, but my BP increased after I was diagnosed and started insulin for Diabetes. I always had low BP before, even back in the 90's when I was taking Lamictal.

I carefully watch my diet, salt intake, get my sun, and get daily EXERCISE.

Back
Top Bottom