Hives and Pristique?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wobblez

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am covered in head to toe with what looks like hives (red, itchy little lumps). I haven't had these before, but they have started popping up on my stomach over the last few weeks and 3 days ago they appeared everywhere! I have been to the doctor and will get blood test results tomorrow but I'm trying to work out what may have caused them. I have recently had a depo provera contraceptive injection and I take Pristique, but neither of these are new medications.

Thanks xxx

Could be Stephen Johnsons syndrome: an allergic reaction from your lamictal. I'd guess that's the most likely issue. I took Lamictil for two years before I had a Stephen Johnsons reaction from it, so it can happen even after you've been taking a medication for a while. Did the doctor not give you any allergy meds? It sounds crazy to me. This could be an urgent situation. If you get any worse or have even the slightest facial swelling or breathing problems, please go to the ER.

Call your doctor right away. As kirsten says, allergic reactions can show up even when you've been on a medication for some time. And while many rashes aren't serious there's no way to tell on your own.

Hi guys, thank you for your responses but I haven't taken any Lamictal since May last year. I have been taking prednisolone for 5 days now, plus Telfast for hives and the hives are getting more widespread and bigger every day. My whole body is covered in them! Feeling pretty crappy really!

Are you still taking the Pristiq?? Rash and hives are rare on it, but it occur when someone is allergic to it.

Hi Masterjen,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I am still taking it, but I have been on it for at least 6 months and I've actually reduced my dose from 100mg to 75mg about 2 months ago.

Back
Top Bottom