Hoping for ideas on what this episode was . . .

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

masterjen

New
Reaction score
I was asleep when muscles or nerves started quivering or spasming. I hadn't been doing any physical work that could have caused this to happen. It affected the right side of my neck, shoulder, and face on that side. I tried to wake myself up but instead I entered what I think was a very quick dream where someone was trying to relieve it with a neck message and I kept saying "no" and trying to push them away. Then the dream seemed to stop and eventually I woke. By then the quivering or spasm or whatever it was stopped, but my right eye, the right side of my head and face, right side of my neck and right shoulder and right armpit were tingling. This tingling lasted all morning, and finally started to slowly diminish by mid afternoon. I do get tingling like this post-seizure, except not confined to the locations it occurred in last night. I have never had a seizure like this, which makes me wonder if it was one; I wasn't overly affected like a more typical full nocturnal seizure would leave me, with the exception of hours of tingling. If it was a seizure, it's not like one I've had before since such a limited area was affected, plus my seizures are predominantly left sided and have never been limited to my right side. Thoughts, anyone?

I get twitching in the side of my face, in my cheek and the side of my mouth. I've decided for me it's when potassium and magnesium are low. Not sure that is the case but I'm not good about replacing those and I'm on Topamax, which can deplete. I don't think for me it's seizure related because it happens when I'm not having any other kind of seizure activity.

hey BC friend, hugs.
anything else possibly going on health-wise that could have caused it? low electrolytes maybe? it's common with having epilepsy that many of us point to it anytime something goes wrong or weird with our head/body, hard not to really.
how often does your doc test for all the other possibilities w/seizures? supposed to be annually- our med levels, thyroid, kidneys, liver, white blood cell count, calcium/magnesium levels, and a few other odds and ends depending on the person.
always good to rule things out, as if they are then it's responsible for the docs to look at you having a new type of seizure.

Thank you to you both for the suggestions. I was hospitalized in mid-Jan. for a VEEG and I think every blood test that could have been done was.
I was away for a period of 3 days just prior to the spasm or whatever it was, and while I was eating a healthy diet it was not the same as I would normally eat. Plus, I normally eat a banana a day (just don't feel right if I don't) and I wasn't eating any for that time. I wouldn't have thought 3 days of diet change would be an issue, but who knows. Maybe I will for now chalk it up to low potassium from no bananas!

take it from a fellow health-freak over here, three days difference can really piss our bodies off. spasming etc. wouldn't be my first choice in relation to that, but def a possibility; how about a quick appt for a blood test?
re: tests in jan; from research and personal history the tests don't always rely on time as a factor, esp. for those on e meds (harsh on our system even if we can't feel it). when something's off kilter w/my bloodwork she reschedules another test within three months, so that's a fitting time frame for you right now if you wanna cross off possibilities :) hugs.

:roflmao: or we could see it as 'a need' to schedule w/redekop then meet and go for dinner! ;)

I like your line of thinking. Perhaps we both need "tune ups"; make them for the same day and hit a good restaurant. Sounds like a great plan!!

ahhhh... corderro's is my favourite, always go when i'm in van for a medical trip. nice place!!!! ya been?

Corderro's . . . no, I've never been there. Always up for a new place, though!

My doc explained this exact thing the day before yesterday: it's a Jacksonian seizure. It chooses the parts of the body based on where in the brain the seizure comes from and where it radiates to. She says if you have them, you are likely to have the same areas affected every time. It's a brand of simple partial. And i was also told that those seizures can then generalise to turn into another sort of seizure, and that it's good to pay attention to those patterns of generalisation.

Back
Top Bottom