Horseback Riding

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I love horses. When I was 5 years old, I started riding a horse. When I was 6, I was diagnosed with epilepsy. I still got on my horse and enjoyed myself. My mother and father saw no reason to stop riding. That was in the 1950's. I had absence seizures. When I was a teen-ager, I went to Girl Scout Camp. The first place I went to was where the horses were. I went riding with a group. They wanted to know how each of us could ride. I got an A+.

Then, I was told to go to the office. I was told that I could not ride horses, go swimming, hiking or anything else. The only thing I could do was clean up the camp. It was my doctor who made the deciscion. My mother did not tell me about it. I was still riding at home, swimming and hiking.

A few times I had an absence seizure and fell off of my horse. I got up and saw that my horse was gone. I walked back to the ranch house. I did not mind, hiking was good for me. My horse always walked back to the stable.

Sad to say, since I got married in 1963, I have not had the money or the place to keep a horse. I still have the memories. I hope to be able to get a horse again. I have that love.

Back
Top Bottom