how to cope with pain after seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

whwept

New
Reaction score
Do you guys have any tips on how to feel better after having a seizure? Because I always want to commit suicide after them from the pain.

Do you guys have any tips on how to feel better after having a seizure? Because I always want to commit suicide after them from the pain.

Lots of water. Hot tub helps too. I can't stand to be touched for a day or so. But when that goes away I go see my favorite massage therapist. That helps alot. My Neuro gave me a prescription for some stuff to help with the pain, let's hope I don't need it anytime soon..........................

Is this your post-ictal state you are describing or just how you feel about seizures?

I had a neighbor who used to act out sexually. It wasn't very nice to be around her but she had no control. She was preyed on by unscrupulous bastards because of this type of post-ictal state. They ended up moving a lot because of it.

Personally I don't recall feeling pain from my seizures, but I always felt numbed, on a rare occation, I'd want to run away, so jumping out of a moving vehilce would pose it's own problems. Sometimes I'd laugh hysterically or sream and yell. All strange emotional manisfestation.

Yours is the first I herad of being suicidal.

Pain...

It's the actual physical pain I'm talking about after the seizures. I feel nauseous, dizzy, wanting to vomit, and all the pain makes me wish I was dead.
Thanks for your replies everyone.

Wow - whwept - that's HORRIBLE that you feel that way after seizures. Just a "regular" (is there such a thing?) seizure is bad enough. All I ever felt was the need to crawl into bed.

I believe.... though I have not been in her shoes... that Rebecca feels the same. However, when they happen at school all she wants to do is to forget it and move on with her day. She pushes through the post ictal state, and returns to class. I admire this in her, as she could just as easily pull up the covers and ask to be left alone.

For me, whenever I got a migraine, I pretty much knew it was for 3-4 days and I would make it through the first day, but by the second one I was needing to be in a dark quiet room. There were definitely times that I thought if I were to feel that way every day, I would be ready to give up. Then I found magnesium, and have not had one of those days since. It has been more than three years.

Keep searching for answers

Painkillers and hot baths

as wells as lots of rest, are the beginning of it for me.

BUT, I do understand where you're coming from. When I had the spurt of 13 t/c's in 3 months many years ago, I got to that point to. I couldn't think straight, and I couldn't recover, either. It was almost too much to handle.

It's the actual physical pain I'm talking about after the seizures. I feel nauseous, dizzy, wanting to vomit, and all the pain makes me wish I was dead.
Thanks for your replies everyone.

Yea it sux. I hate it. I try to think of it as a way to remind me how good I have it the rest of the time. Do you get the splotches on your face and neck and the black eyes? I don't leave the house for a few days, cuz people think I've been in a fight.

this might sound out of left feild but it tried it when i hurt my back in 94 and continued using it when the t/c started in 96. acupuncture. it might have alot to do with mind over matter but it seems to releave the nausia and the migraine that i get after, as well as the deep muscle soreness. with a good teacher in just a few short lesons you can be shown how to do it yourself. it all has to do with preasure points.

this might sound out of left field

Not left field at all... more out of the right....
It has come up in more conversations than many other therapies. Kinesiology has also been suggested. NFB has strapped our budget at the moment, and given Rebecca incredible results, but chiropractic and accupuncture are high on my wish list for structure health. Especially since she has been falling daily due to her figure skating schedule. It must play a role in nerve health.

Definitely not out of left field

I'm an acupressure student & have found points that have stopped my partial seizures.

Also I do have someone that comes over to give me acupuncture treatments when I have the money.

Just click on the name of point to be shown where to find it.
[URL="http://www.acuxo.com/selections.asp?question=Neuromuscular&firstResponse=Epilepsy&secondResponse=Epilepsy"]http://www.acuxo.com/selections.asp?question=Neuromuscular&firstResponse=Epilepsy&secondResponse=Epilepsy[/URL]

They don't mention the one that seems to work best for me though so here it is.
http://www.acuxo.com/meridianPictures.asp?point=GV26&meridian=Governing%20Vessel

Last edited:
this might sound out of left feild but it tried it when i hurt my back in 94 and continued using it when the t/c started in 96. acupuncture. it might have alot to do with mind over matter but it seems to releave the nausia and the migraine that i get after, as well as the deep muscle soreness. with a good teacher in just a few short lesons you can be shown how to do it yourself. it all has to do with preasure points.

Do you do accupuncture or is it accupressure on yourself?

I myself do acupressure

I just lightly keep my finger on the proper points.

I do occasionally get acupuncturetreatments just to help keep my system in balance.

As one poster had posted it from another forum:

E takes you for a very strange ride ...

I've been in postictal stage, and simply put, I'm not
reliable during this period as my brain's in haywire
stage. I like what my Cardiologist described it best
(He ought to be a Neurologist!) - it's not a good time
to make decisions, to trust the individual's judgment,
but one needs to be supervised and monitored during
this phase until they're out of it and back to normal
since their brain isn't functioning normally at all.

This is probably the BEST description overall as a
whole.

From my end - I can go from range of various emotions
to complete disorientation to being incoherent as it's
been told to me, insomuch that my own cognitive
functionality and thought process is greatly hindered
as well. On my end (while may not apply to anyone
else or it might apply to some), I'm up and down like
a Yo Yo until I recuperate (out of it).

But I've had my share of weirdness, strangeness, and
things beyond the "Twilight Zone" - all because of "E";
HOWEVER - you DO need to let your Doctors be aware
of this event for it could be several factors: 1) the area
of your brain that is affected or 2) the medication(s) that
you are on is making an impact. Such needs to be monitored
closely and carefully, and no, you are not crazy, you just
need to be under the watchful eyes of your family, friends,
significant other/spouse, Physicians, neighbors, and so on
during this phase, especially if it is a "bad hit".

So it's a wise and strong recommendation that I recommend
that you discuss this with your Neurologist or Epileptologist
and go over it and keep a log/diary/journal as well.

I usually get a migraine and I've been lucky this lucky year haven't busted my head open once this summer.

Once in the postictal state I cussed someone out at a wedding shower.
Usually I just sleep for a few hours.

I went to a seminar once about accupuncture for epilepsy. I also received several treatments, but don't know if the accupunture alleviated any of the seizures or not. I ran out of money.
My post-ictal state is usually a bad headache for a couple of hours and I just need to go lie down and sleep.
Cindy

I don't generally have any pain until a couple days after the t/c...then all I want is painkillers, a hot bath and my bed. But I've also found massage and a visit to the chiropractor to be helpful. I've been thinking about accupuncture, though.

I have very little to no memory of my post-ictal state. (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing) My family says that post-ictally I act like a mean drunk :oops:

Pain after seizures you bet!

Before I was ever diagnosed with chronic pain and fibromyalgia. Afeter every seizure I had pain in my right side of the body causing me to have headaches called clusters and in later life it has caused permanent damage to my body and back!
David Hair

Do you do accupuncture or is it accupressure on yourself?

it is accupuncture, i have my own needle set that my dad bought me in china town and everything, i started doing it when i hurt my lower back in '95 and did not what to go to a chiropractor, and it just happened to bleed over to a good way relieve the discomfort after a grand-mal. some of it might have to with the meditation that goes with it though.

I don't have pain after my seizures....well, unless I fell against something. :) Last year I fell into a firepit while camping and gave myself a black eye. *chuckle* Hubby burned his feet running through the firepit to pull me out. Then he had to deal with dirty looks from people who thought he'd given me the black eye. :) Luckily, he has a good sense of humor.

However, I agree with Brain. Make sure that your doc knows that you're having pain after your seizures. As for me, I usually just want to sleep after my seizures.

Back
Top Bottom