How do I tell if I am having a SPS/CPS in my sleep?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Buffheart

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
This is my first post out of The Foyer as I am new here. Although I have not been officially diagnosed with Epilepsy I have a friend who has and I was telling her about a few strange things that happened to me at night and she said it might be seizures.

Back in September 2010 I had a very strange, vivid dream. My dream was that I was at the doctors office talking, and suddenly I went into a seizure. I was sitting on the table and I folded over so that my whole upper body was resting on my legs. In my dream the doctor said it was a absence seizure, but it seemed more like a complex partial. Even though I was conscious and fully aware, I could not move nor talk. When my doctor injected me with something I awoke. The strange thing was what happened after I woke up.

When I first woke up I felt like I was hit by a truck. My body felt heavy and I couldn't move for a few seconds. Mentally I was dizzy, tired, and slightly confused. After what felt like an hour but was probably less than 20 seconds, I was finally able to open my eyes. At first, even though my eyes were open, everything was totally black. After a few more seconds I could see clearly and finally stood up. For the rest of the day I was fine, but since that day I have had two more seizure dreams (one tonic-clonic, one complex partial), and, although I never experienced the same "side effects" they spook me each time because I fear that instead of mere dreams they may be warning me of future events.

However, I have had similar, though lesser experiences upon awakening, though not accompanied by vivid dreams. It seems that more and more often I wake feeling very tired and heavy, like it's hard for me to even open my eyes. Sometimes I just shut off my alarm and sleep for several hours because I feel so exhausted. Currently I have three different alarms set at different times. Just a few weeks ago I slept though two of my alarms. Not just for a few minutes but for 5 HOURS! One my my alarms had even been going off right next to my ear, BUT I NEVER EVEN HEARD IT! Somedays I wake and am fine, but most days I wake up feeling very tired. Usually it goes away within 5-10 minutes, but there are days where I will feel foggy and dizzy for hours! Sometimes for days on end I will be in a constant dizzy/confused/forgetful/mentally-and-physically-exhausted state, but that is for another time.

Lastly, this may or may not be anything serious, but for all my life I have had strange, vivid, nonsensical dreams. Within 2-5minutes of awakening I usually forget them, so I can't describe any in detail, but even after they go away I am left with a sense of "oh, I had one of those dreams again". Actually, my dreams almost never make sense, so when they do I become very scared, hence part of the reason my seizure dreams scared me. They actually made sense. More often than not I don't dream, but there are times where I will dream every night for several days and then may not dream for weeks on end. In my dream everything makes sense, but not in real life. For example, one moment I may be taking to someone who I knew from high school, and the next minute they metamorphose into, say, my doctor, but it all makes sense. Or one minute I may be in a castle, and the next I will be underwater, but it all makes sense in my dream. The only dream I can remember is a dream in which I was walking through a lumber yard with a girl from middle school whom I hated and have not seen or talked to for years. In addition, the sky was this weird neon dark purple color, which happens in my dreams. There are a lot of bright colors, especially skies, even if it is at night. It could be night in my dream, but the sky could be lime green. Or, adversely, it could be day time in my dream and the sky may be deep dark blue.

This all may be nothing, but the seizure dreams and waking up exhausted/dizzy/confused/foggy all seemed worth looking into. Yes, I do believe that dreams are your minds way of "mulling things over" so to speak, but I didn't start researching this until a few weeks ago, so there is no way my mind could have been thinking about seizures way back in September. What say you?

And if you are wondering how I know some of these terms, I have worked with people who have seizures before.

And also, before you might ask, I don't exercise, so I have no reason to feel so tired.

Last edited:
Hi Buffheart, and welcome.

Others who are feeling more articulate than me will chime in, but a quick question: Do you wake with sores in your mouth? Usually when we have nocturnal seizures, we bite our tongue and/or the inside of our cheek/lip etc. It's a pretty reliable indicator.

Chel
(too tired to manage much more, due to nocturnal seizures!)

No sores as of yet, and hopefully never, which is why I do not think they are TC's.

Hi, Buffheart,

Welcome!

It could be seizures. Some folks in here dream about them while they are having them. Myself, some of mine wake me up, during or after. I've learned to tell how I feel after a seizure, so I know if I just had one in my sleep. It feels really icky to wake up to that.

What you are experiencing could also be a sleep disorder. Sleep disorders can give you very vivid dreams, make you very sleepy during the day, not waking fully (being conscious but not moving), etc. There is a pretty good list of sleep disorders in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_disorders

What does your neurologist say? Have you seen a sleep doctor and had a sleep study done? It takes the neuro & sleep Dr. working together to figure it all out properly.

How can you tell?

My friend with Epilepsy suggested possible narcolepsy, but I talked to people with narcolepsy and they do not believe I have it because there are many days where I will be fine and perfectly alert all day, which isn't usually the case with narcolepsy, though I shall have to look into other sleep disorders.

Hi, Buffheart,

You can tell by seeing a sleep doctor. They wire you up and do a sleep study.

How do I find a sleep doctor? My area is so rural there may not be any. If managed to get an EEG over the course of several days and nights, would that catch anything? I have been given the name of one clinic that I may not need a referral to get into, so I have to call, but if I could get in in a few months they might be able to do an EEG. Assuming they believe me.

It might catch a sleep disorder, it might not. In addition to brain waves sleep studies also measure breathing, leg movement, etc. And a sleep expert analyzes everything.

I believe I'm seizuring in my sleep, and my main symptoms upon awakening are SEVERE confusion and memory problems, sometimes nausea and just a 'weird' feeling. Do you have those symptoms? In fact, I rarely dream anymore, but if I could remember a dream, my brain would probably be AOK and not seizuring, I'd think?

On the other hand, I used to sleep a lot, sleep through alarms, etc...definitely more hours than what 'normal' people needed to feel rested. Now I only WISH I could sleep through the alarm an extra 5 hours! So maybe something electrically wrong is just starting in you?

Maybe something is just starting. Back in 2009, for a good 4 months I would wake up nauseous. At first it was mild, then would progress to the point where I would become sick. At one point I was waking up nauseous almost daily for about two weeks. It was so bad that I couldn't have anything in my stomach. Not food, not water, not even anti nausea meds. Despite drawing lots of blood and running several tests, my doctors never figured it out and it went away on it's own. It was so bad that I got 5 cavities from being sick so often and saw 4 different doctors (two GP's, a GI doctor, and my orthodontist). Luckily it went away, but that was the time that things really started to go down hill for me, but that is for another time.

Anyway, my "seizure dreams" are the scariest because I can't tell if they are a sign of the future or what. And waking up from those dreams is just as scary which makes me wonder if, as elizzza811 said, maybe that seizure in May triggered something, like awoke certain parts of my brain. I think I heard someone say that once a brain "learns" how to have a seizure it will always remember. Is it funny that I was never referred to a neuro after my TC?

It is the case that the brain can "learn to have a seizure", but that comes primarily from having multiple seizures. Neuroscientists have a saying: "Neurons that fire together, wire together." Essentially that means that the more times your neurons take part in an abnormal firing pattern, the more those neurons get hardwired into that pattern. The first seizure may be a little shortcut through the underbrush. With repetition (more seizures) that shortcut becomes a footpath, then a bike path, then a dirt road, then a paved road, then a six-lane superhighway -- it's no longer a side route but the default.

That's one reason why it's important to find a way to avoid or control seizures early. The brain is very plastic, so it can potentially learn different, healthier routes to take. That's the premise behind neurofeedback, as well as meditation and other approaches that take advantage of this plasticity.

Seizures while dreaming?????

Hello,
I am also new to this website. My son who was recently diagnosed with epilepsy after suffering a Grand Mal seizure at school says that he dreams of having a seizure frequently at night. He says that they are very vivid. And he is constantly complaining of cold sores on the inside of his cheek. Our Neuro dismissed these dreams as nothing and I did not give them much thought until reading this post. Can you really have a seizure while you are sleeping?

Back
Top Bottom