How do you know if you have seizures in your sleep?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

400ex

New
Reaction score
I was wondering how do you know if you have seizures in your sleep? I dont know if I have any but there was a time where I had a bite mark on the side of my cheek last year and blew it off as bad sleep.

And the pass couple weeks I started drooling more in my sleep, which I then would wake up and sort of freak out that I drooled but then just go back to sleep not caring.

I've bitten my tongue at night. Also if the seizure is witnessed by someone else.

Unexplained scratches and bruises are a pretty good sign that you're having seizures. For me, I'm extra tired and really groggy when I wake up the next morning.

I sleep alone I've slept in the same room with other people before they have't said anything other then I snore.

I have had ambulatory EEG's before they all came back normal besides the last 2, they said there was some unclear/rare spikes in my sleep that doesn't look like seizure activity but its hard to tell and could of been "anything"

Last edited:
I wake up if I have a nocturnal seizure. That's great because it's easier for me to keep track.

Do remember that drooling when asleep can also just be a sign of deep sleep (which is good when one has seizures).

oh ok great I thought drooling was a symptom/sign of nocturnal seizures. The sleep study done for apnea, if anything was picked up as far as nocturnal seizures they will let me know.

I would think it most likely to be a side-effect of an AED since most of them make people sleep heavier.

I did get to peak at my EEG before I left the sleep study and my brain waves at one point looked like it spiked for 1 second. I think its when I woke up. The spike looked like a 9 EQ! I got scared but I am no doctor and figured it was just me waking up and becoming alert.

However that spike that I saw though may have been me going into Stage 3 or 4 sleep though.. which brain waves look really wacky!

Last edited:
I wake up when I have a seizure at night, too. I usually still have that weird feeling that comes with an aura. Sometimes there is still a physical sign like a twitching foot. Most often the aura wakes me up, and then the seizure hits.

If your having grand mal seizure in your sleep, then all your muscles would be sore and more than likely you would have bite marks on your tongue.

Thanks for all the input guys, with all of this I dont think I have nocturnal seizures.

I truly truly hope one day there is a huge step towards some sort of cure or better way to control seizures with out the horrible side effects. I think about it every day but I try not to dwell on it. I am sure we all think the same thing.:e: I also believe that we will be there sooner than later.

Most times I wake up with my seizures and sometimes I do not. When I do wake up I will wake up to a stomach ache (Epicgastric rising due to my seizures), a tonic clonic or to a fencing posture (sometimes when I have the fencing posture I hit my husband in the back by accident but he doesn't wake up anymore. He is totally use to it.)

When I was a kid I use to get scared and go and sleep with my mom and dad and they use to complain about me kicking them in my sleep and I didn't realize I was doing this. I still do this from time to time according to my husband. This must be my seizures. I must have had my seizures all my life and didn't realize it and neither did my parents. It's tough going all your life not knowing you have epilepsy but it happens.

To give you a little more back ground info on my type E. The type of E. I have is frontal lobe epilepsy and it typically comes at night but my seizures come during the night and day. Lucky me!

tam bam

My partner sometimes wakes up with mystery bruises, scratches, and he used to gnaw the insides of his cheeks. Lately though, he wakes up with headaches, or nausea or dizziness, which indicates to us that he has had a recent seziure in his sleep.

Actually, my neuro thinks that the excessive drooling could be a sign of night time seizures for me. The drooling is not a regular thing for me.

I always seem to wake up after drooling in my sleep. I don’t drool often but when I do there is always a huge puddle under my face. :oops: I know quite often I wake up to simple partial seizures where my vision is blurred, have double vision, things don’t look like what they are meant to, not feeling right etc. My dentist also noticed before being diagnosed with E. that the insides of my mouth have got bite marks on them (they don’t bleed). He asked me if I bite my gums during the day and I said “no” which puzzled him, so I guess I am doing this in my sleep. Do you recon these are signs I am having bigger seizures during the night. I get my results back tomorrow from my week long EEG. I will be interested to see if they find anything though must admit during that week all was quiet regarding seizure activity. Debbie :p

my partial seizures were discovered during a sleep study. My husband said I "twitched" all night in my sleep. My muscles would be sore awakening. Still tired. Brain kinda foggy. Charlie horses, that kind of thing. Also, waking up in different beds or on the couch and not remembering when or how I got there. (That one is kinda scary!) Also, I know when I cough a lot at night, I am having seizures.

For me, I often wake up to the Aura, followed by the seizure. Sometimes I just wake up, and go into seizure-mode seconds later. Afterward I will have very sore muscles (and I mean VERY sore, anyone who's had TCs knows what this feels like) and be tired the following morning as well as other things like having bitten my tongue up a bit. One time I pulled a muscle in my arm during the seizure and I could barely use the arm for days, it took about a week to heal.

Part of my seizure, or the aura at least, is pretty strong nausea and a feeling like the room is spinning. That is what wakes me up, so I know I'm having one.

Hi! I am just new in this site. But i have been experiencing seizure since 1998.

What I have accdg to my doctor is nocturnal seizure, it occurs while I am asleep. Normally, I will feel the aura all day and at night when I go to sleep, I had seizure attacks. It brings a terrifying experience for me, because I do not know that if after the seizure, I will still be able to wake up.

I have never been used to my seizure attacks. Until now I am afraid so what I would do, I will try to avoid going to sleep. But because of the medications, I would feel sleepy.

I may sleep for a couple of minutes but once I feel a twitch on my muscles, I would wake up and try not to sleep again.

This forum is really a great eye opener and I hope I will be able to understand E even more.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom