How do you switch medications?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ktp

New
Reaction score
I have been on Vimpat for about a month now. I think I gave it a good go but I think it makes me more clumsy and shaky then usual. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow. Vimpat is the first medication that I have been on and I am not sure how they would go about changing to a new one. Do they just add a new one in or do you wean off the one you are on? Probably a really dumb question but I am concerned about it. Thanks!

The goal is to maintain seizure control during transition. So the usual procedure is to wean you off the old med while simultaneously ramping up the new one. Sometimes, depending on your history of seizure control and the particular meds involved, you might ramp up the new med part of the way before starting to reduce the old one.

Back
Top Bottom