How does stress affect your seizure activity?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

That scares the hell out of me! I'm a therapist and I'm terrified of having a seizure during a session with someone. I would never recover from that guilt especially if it was a child. My anxiety about this comes in waves. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!
I can understand you being frightened mainly with children but those who employ you being a therapist must know about your seizures to let you do it plus anxiety can bring stress then seizures...so try and take things more mentally steady, I know it's hard saying and typing it but i'm just trying to help.

Yeah. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to keep my rational brain processes working on this issue. I have a private practice so there's no employer involved. I have consulted with a few trusted colleagues and my office staff has been instructed in first aid. I'm taking my meds and hoping I'm doing all I can. I can't predict these things I guess... but I do find it interesting that both tcs happened during a Thursday night which is the end of my work week and typically when I'm most mentally and physically exhausted.

Yeah. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to keep my rational brain processes working on this issue. I have a private practice so there's no employer involved. I have consulted with a few trusted colleagues and my office staff has been instructed in first aid. I'm taking my meds and hoping I'm doing all I can. I can't predict these things I guess... but I do find it interesting that both tcs happened during a Thursday night which is the end of my work week and typically when I'm most mentally and physically exhausted.
We all need encouragement with those who do totally understand besides those that live around people with epilepsy who can also give it.

Well at least your colleagues know about it that was my main concern regarding your job you do....like yourself 80% of the time now after 30yrs of them I can also predict when mine will roughly occur and my hubby besides he can tell by my eyes alone or my temprement.

I was under one GP who new about my seizures but suffering with cervical spondylosis besides wanted me to have massage therapy...oh I used to look forward to it, till one night I fell off the bed and had a seizure and is surgery was below...when I came around the doctor was seeing to me and the therapist was apologizing and I told the doctor straight when I came around properly, you knew I had seizures so it's down to you not the therapist...to put along story straight I didn't last long on his books through telling him and several GP's have thrown me off their books through me having it out with them over my seizures.

Oh I forgot about anxiety!

For some reason living in really dense areas/being near people I don't know/taking public transportation (bus, taxi etc) makes my brain go into overdrive mode. Unless I am on drugs or in hyper mode (weird Keppra side effect)

Stress is numero uno for me. That, and being in the light for too long. As for stress, I will being having seizures once my stress level gets to a certain point. I think that's a main trigger for many who have E. It can be a very powerful thing if you let it take hold of you.

My one neighbor is an ER doctor and luckily a hippie, so he has been giving me meditation lessons, which oddly enough has helped with my stress quite a bit. I still have my bouts, but breathing through everything most certainly helps keeps me calm.

Stress & lack of sleep have always been my 2 main triggers.
I do stress easily & tend to over think things so I am slowly learning to not stress so much or over think things with the support of my epilepsy nurse & neuropsychologist.

Back
Top Bottom