How has epilepsy made you a better person?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

They should rename epilepsy "HATE",in the dictionary,after rereading these posts I still realise what it has taken away from me,like jobs,never having driven.The list goes on and I do hate epilepsy.But it makes everyone off us unique,but the same in the same breath.

We are all battling the same afflictions in one way or the other making us far harder and stronger to knock out.If we do have a setback we can get up and carry on,plus we have this forum to help each other and that is the way it should be.Good Health to Everybody.

Last edited:
We are all battling the same afflictions in one way or the other making us far harder and stronger to knock out.If we do have a setback we can get up and carry on

exactly. one of the few diseases that is unpredictable 24/7, causing us to be strong in a way that no one else could understand. hugs and kudos to all for hanging in there.

:rock:
nat, e hater

Epilepsy has become a way of life for all of us and in doing so has made each of us stronger in a unique way, the belief and ability within each shines through. We have learned in our struggle with E and life that nothing is ever easy and never free, yet we remain defiant to accept what others perceive or believe our abilities to be. For our abilities are far reaching and unique enabling each and everyone to shine brightly without comparison.

For these simple reasons and more, I believe epilepsy has given each one of us ability, our strength cannot be measured, our resolve limitless, our compassion and understanding heightened, we ridiculed nobody and no one for fear of hurting others never thinking of ourselves.

I believe growing up with epilepsy made me much more compassionate and much less judgmental of others. When I am with someone who criticizes another person, I am usually the one to say, "We really have no way to know what is going on in someone's life/relationship/whatever, so how can we really judge them?" I work with kids, some of whom have special needs, and I am better able to identify with them. If my kids with sensory issues/autism cover their ears and scream when they hear a loud noise, I don't get upset because I wish I could be doing the same. When parents of kids who have ADHD are always late, I think that it's possible the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree, and I never think they are being rude. After all, I have a hard time with time management too.
I don't know whether it has made me stronger. Sometimes I don't feel strong at all.

I try not to think about myself so much, since that is a really easy thing to do. Now to think about others, let alone put them ahead of you regardless of your situation is a whole nother story. For some it's just second nature, but for some of us it is a great challenge. With that said, I believe that no amount of blind hate and darkness can diminish the unconditional love and light that is available to each and every one of us, we just have to be willing to receive it. :)

I care about so much more, and value my time more. I think chronic illness does that, forces you to adapt. I can't even relate much to previous posts, i'm just not that angry anymore. I fucking hate dealing with E, but i'm glad that it really forced me to grow up. Forced me to advocate my health, and get better. Physically and mentally i've improved, because I had to. How long that lasts is a roll of the dice, but at least i'm learning to roll with the punches.

I can't find anymore words to say atm but I know that once I do it will be like me teaching myself a lesson again, or should I say like E reminding me that just because I have it, it doesn't mean it's my name.

As my motto says: I've learned to look beyond imperfection thanks to my son. I have met so many beautiful people I would never have met without this child and his seizures. I have learned to see life more in perspective and to value the little things, not to take things for granted. And... reaching out to others to get and to give.

I'm glad you asked this question Emerald. Lately I've been very depressed,down and scared because of my epilepsy. But if I stop and think about it epilepsy has helped me by giving me a determination and perseverance. It's given me a great husband that always supports me through every good time and bad seizure. And like others have said it has given me a yearning to help others. In a week I'll be starting college again and giving up my job as a CMA so I can pursue my associate's degree as a Physical Therapist Assistant. I've been so scared that my seizures may return and I'll lose everything I am working for(because it has happened before). But your question made me realize everything happens for a reason. I got suspended from my previous college program, RT(radiologic tech), and went on to become a medical assistant. I love that job. I hated the RT when I was doing my clinicals. Hopefully everything works out and if not, it's just another bump to get over. More perseverance!

Dutch Mom
I can understand exactly what you are posting. :)
My strategy today involves enjoying just the simple things in life, don't stress out too much over little things and love all who are important to you.

Jeannie, good luck with college! I'm so glad that you are pursuing something that you love. Never forget to smile! :)
- Emerald

Like Blonde Angel, I've learned to enjoy the simple things in life, since I had a brain surgery that made my seizures worse, while my two kids were still very young. And as MuayThaiFighter said, I've learned to roll with the punches because with this life now, I never know what the day will bring...... a migraine, a seizure, or hopefully a great day. I go ONE DAY at a time. Patience, my friends.

Hi Petey
You are giving me too much credit, but hey ..
Thanks.
Ps.
We are all learning, and we all need an open mind, some will agree..some will not, you move on and don't be afraid to speak out with respect... And if there's still a drama, don't waste your time with that something ..or someone.
:)

I don't know how you get the courage I was told

I had a friend tell me I was courageous today, courageous I don't know about that I refuse to put my life on hold because some one can't handle seeing me seize if it happens when I 'm out so be it. I'm nothing special just someone going on with her life.

Dutch Mom
I can understand exactly what you are posting. :)
My strategy today involves enjoying just the simple things in life, don't stress out too much over little things and love all who are important to you.

Blonde angel, I did recognize so much in your post here I am a busy mummy with not just a girl with... Reading it made me get tears in my eyes...

I think we have very similar lives to deal with.

Great to have you here, feels a bit like having a soul mate. :0

Last edited:
Hi Petey
You are giving me too much credit, but hey ..
Thanks.
Ps.
We are all learning, and we all need an open mind, some will agree..some will not, you move on and don't be afraid to speak out with respect... And if there's still a drama, don't waste your time with that something ..or someone.
:)

Hi Angel,

I just loved what you said regardless of if I agree or not, that's not the point. The point is, what you said was very nice and it made me smile :)

Now..
No more inflating my ego........ I'm gonna self implode if you're not careful. :)
See ya round.

Back
Top Bottom