How to job seek if unable to drive..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

suebear

Veteran
Reaction score
How to obtain a job if unable to drive. This is probably the biggest question I have yet to obtain an answer to and no one seems to give me any type of helpful answer to it as of yet.

I have been seeking information yet no foundation has been willing to help and I am running out of options. Who on here has had any luck with working from home with companies and where is it that you have been able to find these type of jobs?

When I have looked for them I keep finding scams so I am very cautious. What is quite frustrating on my part is I have an MBA in Finance yet I cannot use it because I cannot drive. As to when I will be able to drive I do not know. Even though the seizures are improving there is no guarantee I will be out of the woods permanently. We are hoping they will be gone forever some day but only time will tell on that factor.

This brings me back to the question, how is it that someone such as myself can obtain a job from home as it seems no one wishes to help me and the only thing I keep seeing is business opportunities which I do not want. It is getting very frustrating especially with there only being one income. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can provide input on this matter.

This is one of the toughest things to figure out. Where I live, a bus comes close one time a day, so it's been very tough to find a job that is willing to let me work from the time I can get there on the bus, till the time I need to be able to get the one bus ride home : / So anyways, I know exactly what you mean and am dealing with it as well.

In my town some employers will actually work with you and find you a way to work. I keep hearing about this magical company and have yet to find anyone like that. So I have no clue if it's BS. I wish I had something useful link or info but I know your frustration. I might suggest a service rep. for a company. Most of the ones I know work from home. Previous employers I had did HR, but they were lucky and got to do phone interviews from home all day. I would find some credible for that market maybe. Scams are a real let down, I see them pop up on job sites too. Hang in there, you'll find something. Hopefully someone can send a good link.

In my town some employers will actually work with you and find you a way to work. I keep hearing about this magical company and have yet to find anyone like that. So I have no clue if it's BS. I wish I had something useful link or info but I know your frustration. I might suggest a service rep. for a company. Most of the ones I know work from home. Previous employers I had did HR, but they were lucky and got to do phone interviews from home all day. I would find some credible for that market maybe. Scams are a real let down, I see them pop up on job sites too. Hang in there, you'll find something. Hopefully someone can send a good link.

I did get a few responses today on this matter on the state level that might lead to something helpful but only time will tell. I was given a name and a phone number to another person in the nearby state right across the river where the majority of the jobs are taking place. I was also told this person knows of how to obtain transportation (state type) to them so I am awaiting on her response and will see what she has to say on the matter.

I also did get a response back from my state voc rehab and was told I am currently on a case waiting list to be seen on this matter. *sigh* All I can do on the matter is wait. In the meantime, I moved one step further and contacted a larger organization within the state and asked why is this matter not being handled better and how they can assist me since they handle the entire state.

Only time will tell how much information I am able to shake loose from that little bit of tree rustle. :pop:

Unfortunately I don't have an answer. You always hear about these mythical programs but when I called I could never find one. I think it's more of a program that people believe exists or should exist. When I was working I had to carpool or pay for a ride (taxi). I can't do buses because I'll seize and we don't have them where i live now. Taxi's are bad enough between the smell, the radio and the cb radio noise.

I do wish you well on that endeavor tho. :)

Update... I spoke to someone earlier this afternoon with a contact I had not spoken to since last fall before my DBS for E surgery.

Anyway, we had a lot to catch up on to say the least =) but she was so wonderful and had given me two contacts to research and speak with on Monday. She and I spoke at length to catch up on everything but she does feel I should be able to obtain the information that I am seeking so we shall see.

I appreciate everyone's support on the matter.

Last edited:
Best of luck Suebear .... I unfortunately had to give up my job about 5 yrs ago ( wow has it really been that long ... sigh ) anyways at the time I was fortunate enough to have a great boss who allowed me to make my own schedule so that my husband would be able to take me to and from work around his job ... but after a move I had no such luck . Maybe one day things will turn around for me , but who knows ! I just hope things turn around for you sooner ! " hugs" I know what it's like ... most of us do

Best of luck Suebear .... I unfortunately had to give up my job about 5 yrs ago ( wow has it really been that long ... sigh ) anyways at the time I was fortunate enough to have a great boss who allowed me to make my own schedule so that my husband would be able to take me to and from work around his job ... but after a move I had no such luck . Maybe one day things will turn around for me , but who knows ! I just hope things turn around for you sooner ! " hugs" I know what it's like ... most of us do

I'm determined to make things happen and not quite willing to give up at this point of the game. It would of been easy for sure but the problem I am faced with now is my husband is now working a Midnight to 8am shift at the computer desk in a hospital and those hours cannot be changed nor can he just go in whenever he wishes.

The prior job he had before this was great however as he was a programmer for another department within the billing department of the same hospital yet a different area and since he was the only person performing the job he could easily work the shift and go in late without getting reprimanded since the job was his.

Because the BOD chose to change how things were done around the hospital everything went into a turmoil and his entire department was eliminated and the majority of them ended up moving onto new pastures outside of the state because there was nothing in the hospital for them.

I'm not at liberty to discuss what took place but all I can say is the fact being this change over has been a nightmare and it is causing a severe headache. Because of it, even though he was able to get another job within the hospital and not loose his benefits the job is lower paying so he is not making the same monies that he was which is hurting us even more now. Hence my reasoning for needing to find a job because nothing can be done to fix it. I cannot get placed onto a disability as no one will accept me in my situation. All I can do is keep on looking and moving forward. Because I have a college background the only thing I can do is job seek and continue to pray that something comes out.

I had spoken to someone Friday evening who had given me a few thoughts to research on Monday. One of those thoughts was to contact a social worker and discuss options on transportation into the metropolitan area. Another thought which was given to me had been to contact the state's Easter Seals organization to see how they handle this type of matter as apparently they are set up to work with persons who have disability and do not drive.

So, as for now, all I can do is determine the best way to have the discussion and go from there. Oh by the way, I have been finding a few jobs here in town which I have apply for. I have already gotten in touch with the agency here in town who transports persons who do not drive so it is a matter of when I need them we can start to set up a schedule. =)

Back
Top Bottom