How long before side effects usually kick in?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I was switched from 500 mg of zonisamide to 250 mg of Depakote this past Monday, and they're slowly working me up to 500 mg.

Yesterday morning, I had woken up feeling very nauseous and ended up throwing up blood but I didn't have any auras. My side was hurting quite a bit (near the kidney area), but at the time I thought it was from actually throwing up. This was the first time this happened to me.

A little later, I had remembered that the doctor said some of the side effects include kidney/liver problems, as well as unusual bleeding.

I've only been on it for just about a week, and with it being such a low dose I was wondering if it was just coincidence or if it was an actual side effect. So I'm curious, how long does it take for side effects to usually kick in?

It could be a reaction to Depakote and/or to going off of the Zonisamide. You should definitely check in with your doc -- better safe than sorry. The symptoms you describe are listed Depakote side effects with the warning "You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking divalproex sodium:"

Black, tarry stools
bleeding gums
bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
blood in the urine or stools
confusion
cough or hoarseness
crying
delusions
dementia
depersonalization
diarrhea
difficult or labored breathing
dysphoria
euphoria
fever or chills
general feeling of discomfort or illness
headache
joint pain
loss of appetite
lower back or side pain
mental depression
muscle aches and pains
nausea
nervousness
painful or difficult urination
paranoia
pinpoint red spots on the skin
quick to react or overreact emotionally
rapid weight gain
rapidly changing moods
runny nose
shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
shivering
sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
sore throat
sweating
tightness in the chest
tingling of the hands or feet
trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
trouble sleeping
unusual bleeding or bruising
unusual tiredness or weakness
unusual weight gain or loss
vomiting

Never mind Skyfire, I just found your post on your VEEG--I'm glad you got some answers!!

Per standard procedure at work, they told me I had to go to the ER. I called my doctor, and they said that if it doesn't go away within the next few days or if it gets worse to stop taking it until I see him, and also to get blood levels drawn immediately.

I haven't had any episodes since I've been on it, but this is almost as bad as when I took Keppra.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon, one way or another.

I think another side effect kicked in today, since this is my third day on the higher dosage. My eyes were really sore and had double vision. My girlfriend said that they looked normal, not shaky and pupils weren't dilated.

I have a feeling they'll keep me on it for awhile longer to see if it helps with the seizures. Hopefully the side effects will go away soon!

Lamictal makes my eyes dry, so I use OTC preservative-free eyedrops (TheraTears). They might help you if the side effects persists.

skyfire322, I sure know where you are at. I have been thru more medications then I can remember... fingers crossed for you with your body quickly getting used to the medication you are taking.

Back
Top Bottom