How long can it take before side effects start

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been on Lamictal for at least 3 years but it's probably been longer. I've read that one of the side effects of it is double vision. I started having double vision about a year ago, sometimes so bad that I can't even walk. None of my other meds have changed or added to since I've been on Lamictal in any of this time.

I don't know if the lamictal is causing the double vision because I've been on it for so long or if it could be caused by something else?

According to my pharmacist the side-effects from AEDs can start even after years of taking them. He gave me some research papers discussing that, but I can't find them right now or I would give you the references. Your pharmacist would probably be able to get the same info for you. I find that in many cases I would rather talk to a pharmacist than a doctor for certain med-related things.

I asked him that question because I thought I was having some lamictal side-effects even though I have been on it for probably 15 years.

I hope that helps.

Onward!

I got double-vision with Dilantin 20 years after I started taking it. I actually thought I was coming down with a nasty flu. My doctor did a blood level check and my Dilantin was at 43 (the range is 10-20). All went back to normal when I got my Dilantin back to the normal range.

Could you be overdosing on Lamictal?

I saw my pharmacist today and asked him about it. He said it's a very good possibility that I could be starting to have side effects from that medicine. He said that side effects can start anytime after you've been taking a medicine. He told me that since it's gotten as bad as it is now that I should call my neuro and probably be changed to another med. I called my neuro, and left a message of course, to let him know. Hopefully I'll hear back from him soon.

Lamictal. double and blurred vision is pretty much daily for me. Kinda used to it now and only been on it about 6 months or so. Prior to this med I did not have this problem. I do not like lamictal but it is not as bad as other meds they have been trying for me in the last couple years.

Lamictal. I get double/blurred vision and dizziness once in a while. For some reason, mine is always in the morning, right after I wake up. Trying to get up from my bed once landed me face down on to the floor. Last time I got it was last year. I was really stupid and boarded the subway while I was dizzy. I could have fell down to the tracks.

Anyone else have hair loss problems? I dread combing my hair every day because the amount of hair that gets stuck on the comb.
Also, "lamictally" kind of taste in my mouth. That's annoying too.

I've been doing some more reading and I think it's the Tegretol that I'm having problems with.

I have a ton of the side effects that come along with that medicine and a good bit of them of them have popped up over the last year. I don't know if they've gotten any worse but I have started getting them and I never had them before.

I'm going to call my neuro and let him know about it. He'll be the one making the decision about which med he thinks it is.

I had blood work done yesterday. I don't know if what's going on will be found out by that or not?

If it isn't then I don't know if we're going to start playing a guessing game about which med that I'm having problems with.

side effects usually start within a week or so for me.

I take Tegretol, and my double vision and fatigue were terrible when i was in school, I also takeTopamax it's been good at sz control and so has the phenobarb I hate now that one really zonks me out . If your controlled your extremely lucky.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom