How long was the longest seizure you had?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penny

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Not doing to well right now. Feeling daized and confused. Not as much so as an hour or so ago. The last thing I remember was eating supper at 4 pm, then siting at the computer on facebook when I felt a seizure coming on. I tried concentrating and breathing through it. The next thing I know it is a little before 9 and I feel so sick. Thank God I have an E apt Tuesday as I have been having a few lately with going off lamictal (which seemed to be ok) and then ran out of lorazapam med and pharmacy screwed things up. I guess I will just have to take the clonazepam the pharmacy gave me instead tonight and tomarrow as I don't want 0ne this bad again.

I had 2 during the night last night too where I woke up seizing.

I've had seizures before, complex partials, that lasted about 10 minutes before I start to come out of them. I've had some that have lasted longer and I usually go to the ER if they do.

Sometimes after them I'll find out that I've done many things during the day and not remember doing any of them.

One time I went out with my mom for lunch, I remember that. When we got home I had a seizure. When I came out of it I found out that after my mom and I went shopping after we ate for a few hours which I didn't remember doing at all.

I've also forgotten things that have happened days before the seizure happened. About a year ago my husband and I went to the movies. I had a seizure a few days after that. I remember actually going to the movie theater but I have no idea what the movie was or anything at all about the movie that we saw.

I normally have a very quick simple, then straight into a 5 min+ t-c or now a 10 min+ complex, with an hour or so post-ictal recovery, followed by a day or 2 main recovery (providing there's no extreme damage).

If it's just a complex I tend to get a cluster over 3 days- but the following ones are shorter. I still can't decide which I prefer, 1 big t-c, or 3 smaller complexes over 3 days. They're easier to deal with, but wreck more of my days :/

The longest one I had was my first- well over 10 mins t-c, into status and a 6 week coma, but that was due to encephalitis. I was lucky that a housemate found me.

Last edited:
The longest one I had was my first- well over 10 mins t-c, into status and a 6 week coma, but that was due to encephalitis. I was lucky that a housemate found me.

This was actually the same for me too. My seizures wouldn't stop and I had to be put into a coma. I don't remember how long I was in the coma for but I know it was probably six weeks or longer.

I was lucky to be spending the night with the guy I was dating at the time. I woke him up shaking like crazy in bed. If I'd been at my place alone then I probably wouldn't be here right now.

Snap lol :)

I think they tried reviving me out of it, but apparently couldn't lol I still remember some of the semi-lucid trippy dreams from it as I was getting closer to waking up- absolutely crazy :s

I was paralysed from the neck down and only stayed awake for a day and slipped back into another one. They'd given up by this point, so moved me to the ICU and got all my family in to say goodbye etc, but I dragged out that deeper one for another 2 weeks and finally came out again.

I was pretty messed up after that 2nd one- and it left me with the wonderful brain damage I've been carrying round since lol

Thing is, even in my darkest nights getting used to E- when it was still totally random and uncontrolled- I couldn't hate it that much coz I'd made it through all that and didn't die at 21- so in a weird way it kinda helped a little bit as well :)

My longest seizure was a TC that lasted 63 minutes (continuous). Although I have had a cluster of TCs that went for over 2hrs. Both times I was put in an induced coma.

I normally have a very quick simple, then straight into a 5 min+ t-c or now a 10 min+ complex, with an hour or so post-ictal recovery, followed by a day or 2 main recovery (providing there's no extreme damage).

If it's just a complex I tend to get a cluster over 3 days- but the following ones are shorter. I still can't decide which I prefer, 1 big t-c, or 3 smaller complexes over 3 days. They're easier to deal with, but wreck more of my days :/

I'm kinda in the same boat as you... Would I rather have a cluster ovr three days of small ones.. Or one big one.. Honestly I would have to say the clusters- they do wreck the days don't they! I didn't know anyone else felt like that.

Janellie :)

Even though the last two are smaller, they still mess me up a fair bit and the recovery time gets much longer- most of my week will be gone even if I was just out for a few seconds on the third one.

There's definitely a cumulative effect which just leaves me unable to function and with very odd, unpleasant tingly side effects for a good few days. At least with the one t-c it's done and out the way- as long as I don't crack another rib lol

Back
Top Bottom