How long should soreness last after seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi all,

Maybe a dumb question, as I'm sure it's highly variable, but I had a seizure on Feb 7th and my back is still sore. After it happened my arms and legs, side, and back were all very sore (I could barely move), and it has SLOWLY improved, but my mid back area is still sore.

It's been over 3 weeks now, and I was wondering what other's experiences were when it came to time before soreness subsided? It has been so long since my previous seizure I don't remember.

Thanks,

D

My very first seizures took 2 months to heal. It seems to depend on how bad the seizure is -- location and duration. Some of them just do more damage.

You might want to get your back checked out to be on the safe side. I had a physical therapist look at mine, and she reassured me that although it was sore, there wasn't any lasting damage and it would definitely get better. She also applied ultrasound therapy which helped with the healing process.

I hope you feel better soon.

I know it took 2 months for my tongue to heal after my last seizure. It was quite thoroughly masticated.
toothache-057.gif
You most likely pulled a tendon, they take longer to heal
because they are being used all the time. Might want your doctor to check it out.

it varies, the kinda shape you are in to helps. Can you stretch ?
go to the doctor.

Like the

others have said, it's going to depend on a variety of factors.

Did you simply pull muscles? Tendons? Ligaments? (Or did you do the Meetz thing, and break your back?) Are you bruised badly? Or are there any bruises at all?

Honestly, a trip to the doctor is the best idea. I used to alternate heat and ice for comfort in between. But I truly preferred the heat, as the ice sent shock waves up and down my system. Still does.

Like BB did with her tongue, I do something similar. If you ever happen down that avenue, simply rinse it with a salt water rinse--or a light water and peroxide rinse if you want. (I think it's a capful of peroxide to 4 oz of water.)

Good luck.

Meetz
:rock:

I don't suppose the lingering lower back soreness could be from Keppra could it?

I know it's supposed to be processed in the kidneys; has anyone heard of soreness in the area around the kidneys as a side effect?

Just checking....

Keppra is metabolized in the liver. Keppra isn't known for causing kidney stones, but you never know. You could ask your doctor.

Also, Keppra is eliminated through the kidneys. Have you had your kidney function tested lately (blood test)? Though, if your kidneys were having trouble it would show up when they test the Keppra levels in your blood - the levels would be much higher than they should be because the kidneys wouldn't be eliminating it as fast/well.

In the package insert "pain" is listed in the side effect table as happening 1% more often in those that take Keppra than in the control group (that doesn't take keppra). It didn't say where the pain was or what kind.

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=34937#nlm34084-4

If you ask your doc will you let us know what he says?

Have you seen your doctor about the back pain? They could give you a sense of what's going on, and maybe do ultrasound treatment to help relieve some of the pain.

Keppra is metabolized in the liver. Keppra isn't known for causing kidney stones, but you never know. You could ask your doctor.

Everything I've read about keppra says it's not metabolized in the liver

Keppra is not metabolized by the liver. It also does not affect the way the liver metabolizes other medicines.

Instead, the body eliminates Keppra through the kidneys. People with poor kidney function usually need to take less Keppra and they may take it less often, because it stays in their body longer.

http://www.epilepsy.com/medications/b_keppra_digest

Thanks, Eric. My eyes are really blurry and sometimes don't serve me well when reading. I used the same reference material, just didn't see the "not." It does elminate it through the kidneys. Still, no reference of kidney stones. But I never say never when it comes to our meds. They do strange things to our bodies.

:)

ive been having back problems as well, lower back since my seizure on feb 8. my body also was severely sore. as i have more seizures, i think i heal more quickly than the last. this is an upside and a down side. you may have pulled a muscle which is what i did and sometimes they take a while to heal. the only thing that has really helped me with me back is stretching and wearing heels. but i don't know if you can wear heels because i'm not sure of your gender lol. good luck :)

I'm a guy and I'd rather have back pain than wear high heels thank you...

I don't blame you. I'm a girl and I'd rather wear flats and be comfortable than look great in heels, any day of the week. We are opposites! lol.....

Heh, I love it that they're called "Height Increasing Elevator Shoes" instead of high heels. rofl!

Update...

My back is still sore... feels like it gets tired then sore. I've been exercising (running and some light weights) anyway. I figured as long as it wasn't an acute pain it would be okay.

I've seen a physical therapist for several visits and he didn't know what to make of it since it is lingering. It has been 4 months now since the seizure. I've also had massages and that seems to not help and in some cases it makes it worse for a few days.

The PT felt like it was muscular only, but how long is this supposed to last?

Have you tried seeing a chiropractor?

Magnesium might help (epsom salt bath)

i think if the pain has lasted this long, you might want to talk to a dr and get an mri.

Saw my GP about this and he did an x-ray. He said it came back normal.. no fractures and spacing in between vertabrae all looked right.

Backs still gets sore though.. and it's been 4 months. I guess I'll try the chiro or maybe accupuncture as I don't know what else to do.

Back still sore, sometimes worse than others. Went to the chiro and he did adjustment and electrical stimulation, but I ended up just being more sore. After a few times of that, he said the only thing left he could think to do at this point was have me get an MRI.

Its been 5 mos since the seizure.. has anyone had something like this that lasted this long?

Still debating the MRI..

Back
Top Bottom