How to not let a seizure ruin my whole day?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janellie8

New
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Haven't been on for a long while, but I just need to talk. I had a seizure this morning..one of my bigger ones. If you guys have a seizure right in the morning what do you do to keep that from ruining your whole day? I'm just so sad and angry. Idk what will make me feel better. What makes you guys feel better? Or how do you try and forget about it? I don't want to have a bad day today :(

Janellie

It's hard. I usually just try to get in to my work and think about other things. I'm depressed every day anyways so it's just kind of adding to the pile. Do you work or have any hobbies that you enjoy?

It's hard. I usually just try to get in to my work and think about other things. I'm depressed every day anyways so it's just kind of adding to the pile. Do you work or have any hobbies that you enjoy?

Ahh sorry :( it's hard to get it off ur mind!! Well for me anyways. It's rough. I just feel like giving up. Sometimes my hobbies can't distract me. But I will try and I think I will be okay. Thanks so much ;)

Hugs,
Janellie :)

If I have a seizure I don't let it ruin my day.I just go on with my day and don't think about it. There's nothing I can do if I have a seizure.

Belinda

Try knitting or crocheting. I usually get frustrated enough with doing that that I forget all about the seizures. Until I get too frustrated that it causes one.

it's hard to get it off ur mind!! Well for me anyways. It's rough. I just feel like giving up. Sometimes my hobbies can't distract me. But I will try and I think I will be okay. Thanks so much ;)

Try writing about it. Writing is good therapy that sometimes makes it helpful to deal with. Hope you have a better day.

Sometimes after seizures, especially if it's a bad one, I'm very tired. When that happens I really can't do anything but sleep. I just can't help it.

In general I try to forget that I had the seizure. I'll just go along like I normally do. If I had plans for something to do that day then I do them. Sometimes doing house work get's things off my mind. I put my headphones on and scrub away.

At times doing things that are different than I usually do will get my mind off of it too.

I ride my bike daily, actually 1,000 miles a month. As bad as I feel post seizure, life sucked out of me, fatigue, etc., I find that riding my bike helps recalibrate my neurophysiology and my emotions follow. I love the saying: "Take the body and the mind will follow." True for me.

Susan

I find my brain just doesn't function @ full capacity for 2-3 days .. having grand-mal's ... In fact had one Monday somewhere around 3 or 4am. Overall, I get really depressed but I've only been having seizures for just over 2 years, I think that is 10 seizures now. I've had worse seizures than Mondays but I'm just coming out of the haze and now really depressed about this. I'm taking Keppra 3000MG ... and missed a single does of 1500MG Saturday night. I've change my entire life and I don't know what to do? Going to Dr. next week to discuss. Thoughts?

I'm taking Keppra 3000MG ... and missed a single does of 1500MG Saturday night. I've change my entire life and I don't know what to do? Going to Dr. next week to discuss. Thoughts?

Missing doses of meds can mess up your brain and bring on seizures, so never stop the meds or skip doses.

Ask your dr. to reduce the Keppra or change you to something else as Keppra can/does cause rage/depression.
I also take 3000 mgs. of Keppra along with Topomax and an anti-depressant, too. But I take Keppra because we've tried 12 meds and that is what is working for me. There are plenty of meds available, so ask your dr. when you see him/her.

I've been on Lamictal first but that freaked me out so we changed to Keppra. I was hoping to avoid multiple drugs as I do live by myself and only have a couple friends to depend on. Thanks for the input!

I've been on Lamictal first but that freaked me out so we changed to Keppra. I was hoping to avoid multiple drugs as I do live by myself and only have a couple friends to depend on.

Me too. Plus I had the VNS put in to avoid multiple drugs, but that didn't really happen.

Last edited:
I think Epilepsy is a process of continuous give & take, you have to allow the fact that there's going to be seizure activity. It's the unpredictability of not knowing that one doesn't feel in control.

However, you can't allow it to rule your enjoyment to live some life with happiness .

Yes I hate it, but I can't let it destroy me. :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there is no way for me at least. I have tonic clonics, and everytime I have one I end up falling and get sore all over my body, and my tongue is sore... After so long being seizure free, then the depression gets to me. Other than trying to play games or watch movies, there is nothing that can take it off of my mind. Sorry, but that's all I can say.

@notime..

I'm hearing you loud & clear, yes it's not easy, especially ith those who endure the big tonic clonics. I know that when my girl has occasionally experienced them it does stuff up the plans for the day & yes it takes a lot out of you. She needs to recover & sleep & is she is quite horrid.

But you can't dwell on the negatives & let it eat you up.. Focus on the positives & work on them ..it's there, even if it's a glimmer of something you benefit.

Take care & don't be too hard on yourself...

Back
Top Bottom