How would you handle this?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

renee97

New
Reaction score
OK, I have stepped back out onto that slippery slope marked "Employment." Having not been employed for about 26-27 months and the last job I had I am not particularly proud of, if I am asked "why have you not been working?" or words to that effect, do I say
"I have had a medical condition, but I am OK now," and lie? Do I say "I have a medical condition." Period and leave it at that. Or should I fake it and say " I went to Australia and got lost in the desert but I am back now." Oh I have another one: "I was mistaken for a terrorist and the FBI held me on contempt charges when I made a gesture with my hand." Now that we have laughed, seriously, is there a "best way" to handle this?
r97

"I needed to take some time off for personal reasons."

Try to keep things vague and true IMO. No need to go into details if you can avoid it.

Bernard,
I thought I knew all the acronyms since I even made up a few myself. But does IMO end in "opinion?"

r97

IMO = In My Opinion

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

What Bernard stated; but
I've seen people write:

N/A or NA

(And by Law, they cannot inquire or
meddle, because it could be personal
or some other factors there that could
put the Company in legal liability issues
with EEO; however by law, can ask the
question again verbally to see if your
answer would be the same as what is
on the application.

If having received an application
with so many N/A's on it - they won't
waste their time.)

===================

You could also put down:

"Extended vacation"

(Most Employers automatically
assume the party had a rich relative
passed away and they were out
having fun - because that's usually
the case about 70% of the time.)

Avoid putting down: "Extended leave
of absence" unless you're a woman and
married and have children and really
show signs of it... or otherwise this
tells them several things:
1) You're a jailbird
-OR-
2) You've been in the Hospital (either
a Psychiatric or had a major surgery)

It's too questionable and suspicious,
UNLESS you added to it that you
attended College/University/V-Tech
to study / finish or ... and providing
the specifics. The Employer may ask
for proof or may contact the School
for verification. WHICH CAN BE A BIG
PLUS FOR SOME PEOPLE .. Especially
when a Company is in dire need of
a specific XXXXXX type of people and
are willing to pay/sponsor them to
take certain courses!

So this can work for YOUR FAVOR
if you were furthering your education
in that time frame and not only will
it make you more valuable for the
Company, it also makes your job
more secured as well, that is if it is
a well secured and established
Company.

The reason this problem has me concerned is that, for now, almost all interviewing, etc. is going to be by phone due to lack of car. This provides a double whammy because I cannot write down "time off for personal reasons," I can only tell them that (which should work out). There is also a chance they may question my name (because of my voice).
Recently I have found myself crying just trying to look for work.I have been not employed for 26 months and away from the kind of work I want to do for an additional year and a half.
Thanks for all the perfectly excellent advice and information. my gratitude to you.
R97

OK, so I make the call. The job is a call center (cube farm) job. It is somewhat distant from where I live in Bloomington MN and I do not know if I can get there by bus. I was also informed that it is a Union job (!) and that my schedule could change every week. I went along with everything until the schedule thing. No, I cannot have my schedule changed every week. I really find it objectionable (offensive even) for an employer to wreck an employee's life by making them work different hours every week. Obviously they don't give a **** about their employees despite their statements to the contrary.
R97

I'm sure you will find something better. At least this offered you opportunity to practice for a better job. :)

Well at least now you'll know what to ask ahead of time!

Man those rotating shifts are killers!

*groans*

Only you Mr. B can find stuff
like that!

:zacepi:

Thank goodness ONLY Br. B can find stuff like that. If anyone else does, I will be so out of here!
Hey Bernard, I am out here in the Australian desert but I think you are more lost than I am!

0b0d0346.gif

Only you Mr. B can find stuff
like that!

:zacepi:

Humph! :taz: (stomps off in a corner, sulking!....thinks to herself, "if I had all day to watch Youtube I'd find good stuff like that too!"):comp:

Last edited:
lol.... I don't need all day. I'm handy with search functions. It helps to have a decent memory of pop culture and a :evil2: sense of humor.

Well having a good memory of pop culture is one thing I will never be accused of having. That is about as far away from this musician as one can get.
Speaking of far away, this morning among my other emails came this from that job I was "interested in:"
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with Cingular Wireless - The new AT&T.

At this time we have decided to pursue other candidates who more closely match the requirements of the position. We wish you the best of luck in your career search and wish you well in your future endeavors.

To which all I have to say is to repeat what Mr. Barnum is quoted: There really is a sucker born every minute and it does not surprise me that AT&T is taking advantage of all of them. The irony is that I own stock in this company!
r97

AT&T.......sheeesh!.....

I'd say you have some solid stock there LR....they just won't leave me alone! I swear every week there's a new fresh-out-of-high school kid knocking on my door trying to get me to listen to their schpeel(sp?) and switch over!
I'm tying to cans together with a waxed string before long...back to basics.

Oh, by the way Birdy, Brain and Bernard....lest you ferget...there can be only one....hehehe.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v