I am feeling fantastic, is it the Lamictal XR?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
I have been on Lamictal XR for 6 weeks so far..and the last few days I have been a new person..cheerful, in a great mood and my appetite has even lessened. I must be a stress eater or something. :p I've also lost a few pounds. Bonus! :roflmao: I was losing my hair before I started meds so that side effect really concerned me, but it seems to have stopped.

I almost wonder if maybe I was bipolar or something, as I heard the med helps with that as well.

Anyway, as anyone else experienced this? I read so much about the negative effects of these types of meds so I am looking for positive. :D

Oh and I am titrating up and have been on 125mg for about a week. Drs goal is to get me to 200mg.

Thanks in advance-
Cathy

Lol It totally does help with bi-polar too! but I was told in small doses. I havent noticed anything about my mood yet but I havent been on it that long. A week but 25 mg every second day.
No other side effects other than being tired. I'm not on XR either just on the regular stuff and generic. No hair loss here.

When I first tapered on the Lamictal (regular, not the XR), I had a very energetic perky phase (cleaning out the closets, rearranging my entire office, that kind of thing). Part of it was probably just because the med I was tapering off of (Zonegran) had made me depressed and cranky -- anything was going to be better than that. Unfortunately the extra perky phase didn't last more than a month or so. And I got the opposite side effects from you: My hair fell out and my appetite increased, and I've gained about ten pounds in the year that I've been on the Lamictal. Go figure! It has kept me seizure-free though, and definitely sounds like the right drug for you.

Yea, funny thing was I was losing my hair before begining the meds..so thats why I was so nervous.

Oh man, don't tell me this perky feeling doesnt last. LMAO. I am loving it. :roflmao:

I've just had the 2 seizures 4 months apart..so technically I am probably not due til Dec :p. I do hope this med keeps me seizure free too.. :D

I remember

that perky feeling when I went on Lamictal the first time..but it only lasted a short while. This time, I didn't have that burst of energy, BUT I did have, and STILL have, more clarity--or so it seems. Don't get me wrong, the other drugs (Carbatrol, Topomax and Klonopin) don't TOTALLY cut down on my clarity, but some days you could tell it just wasn't right. Now, well, that doesn't happen hardly at all........

I truly had the Energizer Bunny routine happen to me with KEPPRA of all things...:bigmouth::noevil:

My 20 yo son has been on lamictal since 2006 for his grand mals. It is a mild anti-depressant. He does very well on it. It does seem to effect his sleep pattern. He doesnt sleep as well as he used to. He eats the same or maybe a little less, I think. He hasnt mentioned hair loss but then he shaves his head so its hard to tell lol Hes on 375 mg a day. Not extended just regular*

joan*

I did great on Lamictal XR. Unfortunatly my neurologist has no more samples and I cant even afford the normal brand name.....lamictal is a great med .. or has bee for my seizures (TLE)

Vapour, is there any way you could get in touch with the manufacturers of Lamictal? Many of the pharma companies have web pages and some even offer assistance to people who take their medications. I know Keppra does for sure.

It could be something to look into. I'd hate to see you have to go off a med you really like for lack of funds. Especially if something can be done to help out.

My partner has been Lamictal for a few months now, and it's been a tremendous help with his moods and anxiety. He still gets moods, but they're not as severe and sticky. He's actually able to get out of them now. Before this med, he had no control over his moods, and they would fluctuate pretty severely from day to day. He's also more focussed and able to accomplish things.

Yep! I'm on tegretol xr which actually makes me sluggish/tired and have some mood swings (downturns mainly) and Lamictal actually gives me insomnia and bursts of positive energy. It's kind of funny because I can tell when the XR is kicking in throughout the day. Happy and pepper, sad and tired, happy and peppy sad and tired. It's awesome. lol

Since Lamictal is used as both a AED and a mental health medication, it can certainly have some unforseen positive effects. It all depends on your mental health I would think. Obviously many people with E have some apprehension and anxiety that goes along with it. I know from personal experience that the anxiety can lead to depression. By getting on a medication that not only controls the seizures, but gives an added boost of stabilizing moods and even a bit of anti-depressant effect, I can certainly see how things could improve. Especially if there have been mental health issues which coincided with the E.

My wife did really well on Depakote but unfortunately the side effects were too much. It really was a great med for her but it wasn't meant to be. It controlled the seizures, her migraine headaches, and worked well with her Lexapro to control her depression and anxiety.

Now that she's on Keppra she's having a bit more anxiety. If she keeps having problems perhaps Lamictal would be a good medication for her too. As bad as AED's can be for some, for others they give some unexpected benefits.

Maybe I should try Lamcital if I cant get the Keppra to work right. One more month of this Keppra. Tonight I'll take 1000mg and in the am 500mg. I have simple partial nocturnal seizures and migraines, I don't seize during the day. I used to be on tegretol and then Cabatrol but had to go off cause it messed with my liver enzymes. Zonegran gave me lots of energy but took away my appetite and made me nervous. Topomax took away my migraines but made me loose alot of weight and then I couldnt focus and had a car accident.

So I am trying to make this Keppra work with the Vitamins B Cal Magnesium and Vitamin D3, walking 4 hours a week and 2 hours a week of yoga. We'll see how it goes.................what a PITA this whole E thing is.

Back
Top Bottom