I feel really stupid, please help!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penny

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
O.K. My old Neurologist said my EEG read that my right side of my brain had a lesion on it which was causing the epilepsy (simple partial and complex partial). My new neurologist nurse said over the phone( I see him next month) that the EEG he had done showed left side temporal lobe epilepsy. So my question is if its on the right side of the brain is it left side temporal lobe epilepsy or am I all screwed up?

No, you're not stupid! You just need to ask your neurologist for more information when you see him. It's possible that either the old neuro, the new one, or the nurse have the details wrong. It's also possible that they're all right, and the activity showed up differently in the two EEGs. EEGs can vary from one to the next, and many people have seizure activity in both lobes.

I've had epilepsy since 2003. I have damage to both sides of my brain, don't really know the technical term for it though. I don't know if they knew it right from the start or if they found it out over time?

Because there were things wrong with both sides of my brain I was unable to have surgery so my neuro suggested I get a VNS to help with the seizures, which I did.

Ask your neuro about it at your visit and he should be able to give you more details about it.

I will ask my neurologist at my next visit. Its not until Feb. 25th. He upped my meds last week though after blood test showed they were low (I was having break through seizures). Hopefully that will help. He upped both lamictal and Topamax. I was tired the first couple days but now seem to have energy. Yea!!! He left my trileptal the same, thank God. I hate it! Or rather the side effects when its upped.

I am slowly making out a list of questions as they come to me to ask him when we meet. He is a great guy. Or seems to be. Last visit was my first with him and last 1 1/2 hours. Of course it was for epilepsy and stroke but it was a very THORUOGH exam and questions and answers. Hoping it will be a half way decent session again.

An hour and a 1/2 is a great visit, even if it was for two things. A visit with my neuro is on average a 1/2 hour, sometimes longer if there is a good bit going on, and I thought that was great!

It may take a while to see if upping the dosages will help any. If you start having more seizures I'd call him and let him know. If the amount of seizures you are having is still the same then I think it would be ok to talk to him on the next visit about it.

Yes, defiantly make a list of questions you want to ask him. I do this because if I don't I'll usually forget things.

An hour and a 1/2 is a great visit, even if it was for two things. A visit with my neuro is on average a 1/2 hour, sometimes longer if there is a good bit going on, and I thought that was great!

It may take a while to see if upping the dosages will help any. If you start having more seizures I'd call him and let him know. If the amount of seizures you are having is still the same then I think it would be ok to talk to him on the next visit about it.

Yes, defiantly make a list of questions you want to ask him. I do this because if I don't I'll usually forget things.

I couldn't believe it was that long either. I have never had any type of dr spend that amount of time with me. I doubt he will again as this was a first visit. Yes that's why Im keeping a list, I definatly will forget what I will want to talk about. I forget everything these days. I guess that happens with TLE.

I rescheduled my Psych visit for the day after my nuero visit 2 dats ago when I was at my Therapist office. I asked her about doing it and she thought it was a good idea. So maybe I will get all these drs. working together. :)

Back
Top Bottom